Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I've been toying with the idea of selling text links on my website. The idea is that someone pays you to link to their website for a set period (usually a month). I've found some websites where I can "auction" the links, so marketing the spaces shouldn't be too much of a problem.

However, I want to see what the thoughts about this are in general. On some sites, there are doomsday-type warnings that Google will block (?) the pages' PR rating. Any comments about this would be appreciated --- especially since I haven't seen anything about this on WDF.

Cheers!
    eKstreme
    eKstreme.com - Free website tools!
    fontfox - free fonts Hand-picked quality fonts.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    The whole concept of "selling" links is nothing new. It's the same as any banner ad or Google AdSense link or anything of that nature.

I'm not sure what warnings you're "seeing", but as a spider-based search engine it would be somewhat difficult for Google to penalize a website for selling said links unless it was done as part of a "link-farm-style" scenario where sites auction off their links from a links page and go from there. Mind you, the whole concept of selling off a link on a website is not something I've ever had full reason to investigate so I really don't know for sure.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Google does not penalize for being linked to, or linking to one site. It's when you have ~1k or so in a page that things get suspicious. I wouldn't worry in the least.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Hey

Thanks very much for your replies. It seems like a reasonable idea to me to bring in some revenue.

Guess now I have to code the backend... that should be fun
    eKstreme
    eKstreme.com - Free website tools!
    fontfox - free fonts Hand-picked quality fonts.

Remove Ads