Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    How do people get hired as a freelance web designer when starting out? I hear a lot of people get jobs through word of mouth or referrals, but what about somebody who has never been hired before? Are there web sites you can go to see who is looking for someone to build them a web site?

Thanks,

Scarto

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Here's an excellent article on that subject.

Also check out the articles in this section: http://www.sitepoint.com/subcat/find-clients

And be sure to read up on this blog: http://www.sitepoint.com/blog-view.php?blogid=14

Should give you all you need! The basic principle is to become an excellent salesman - have a great personality that's memorable and approachable and you'll go far.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Business cards. 99% of the jobs I've done have come from offline sources, the online market is absolutely cluttered with people, so if you can present yourself in a professional manner offline, you are far more likely to get jobs.

Always have your business card on you at all times, whenever anyone asks what you do, hand them a card. Eventually web design will come up in one of their conversations, and if you made a lasting impression, they'll think "Oh, I know someone who does that" and then voila you have another client. Eventually the word of mouth will come in as well.
    spiral.alchemy
    graphic and web design portfolio

Member #
    Scarto I was in the same boat you were not too long ago. I got my first client simply by talking to people and letting them know. I agree with Spiral, for me it happened so quickly I got caught off guard and hadn't even finished my own website or had cards on me. Another thing, don't be the cheapest and don't work for free, ask for 50% up front. Don't be scared to tell people exactly how much you charge.

Member #
    As for not being the cheapest and not working for free, that might not work in some situations. If you know someone who has a killer idea for a site, and you KNOW it will be popular, but they don't have the money to pay for a design? Consider doing it for free, because theres no way they will be able to contest when you place your ads all over it.

Basically, just work all the time. Think your logo design portfolio needs some spicing up? Make some some companies and make them logos. Nobody is going to check up. They just want to see work you have done. This is basically stuffing your resume, but Its far more ethical than the offline resume stuffing (Honestly doc, I do speak 5 languages!)
    spiral.alchemy

Member #
    Be prepared is the best advice I could offer you. Be prepared to quote a price, be prepared when they ask for your portfolio (even if you don't have one), be prepared to be haggled with on the price, so on and so forth. Pretend your confident when you sell yourself even if you're not. You could always get a salesman, tell him you'll pay him $50 for every deal the two of you close.

No designer I know likes to sell himeself but the one thing that makes it easy is that you're selling a service every single company needs at some point. You're not selling knives or insurance that you need to pursuade people into. Apporach them as if they apporached you and you'll do great.

Show no mercy.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by reli4nt
    Be prepared is the best advice I could offer you. Be prepared to quote a price, be prepared when they ask for your portfolio (even if you don't have one), be prepared to be haggled with on the price, so on and so forth. Pretend your confident when you sell yourself even if you're not.
    This is really good, I always have a problem quoting prices for people, I just feel like I'm ripping them off. I know I'm not, but It just feels wrong.
    spiral.alchemy

Remove Ads