Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hi,

I do have photoshop 7.0, and then just MS Word for Mac. I want to get an ecommerce site up, so I'd need a design that could incorporate shopping cart software into it.

Is there anyone who has done this here, I am just wanting to know how feasible it is to think that a beginner like me could do this?

Then maybe describe the basic steps to take...

Thanks,

MCXI

Member #
    There are many free shopping Cart facilities around such as www.oscommerce.com.
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    Yes, get some prepackaged solution, because on online shopping you are playing with money, and if you are a beginner, you can really screw it up.
    Do you know some server-side programming language? (ASP, PHP, JSP, .Net)

Member #
    I would recommend that you purchase Dreamweaver if you are going to be coding these pages. If you can't afford that there are plenty of slightly cheaper solutions around.
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by justlivyalife
    I would recommend that you purchase Dreamweaver if you are going to be coding these pages. If you can't afford that there are plenty of slightly cheaper solutions around.
    There'a e-commerce package available that i've used in the past, it's completely customizable, so you can design your graphics and adjust the layout, colors ect. It saves you the hassle of trying to pull of your own e-commerce site without any programming experience. Dreamweaver is a great start, but when you are dealing with e-commerce you are tapping into a difficult "first" project. You have to learn about user authentication, secure programming, point of sale integration, cataloging, and a whack of database stuff that can put even seasoned programmers through the ringer. Start off small as far as programming your own e-commerce package. There is a bit too much.

The software package is miva, a wonderful and completely customizable solution... and no I don't work for them

http://www.miva.com
    Visit me at www.frogontop.com

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Are you going to sell 'hard' goods, or digital goods?

I believe the solutions are likely to be different in either case.
    My best pal's site: Algarve Beach Life :ichatcool:

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by sarab
    Are you going to sell 'hard' goods, or digital goods?

I believe the solutions are likely to be different in either case.
    Hard Goods, Digital Goods, the commerce model is the same.

Jud
    Member #
    The software package is miva, a wonderful and completely customizable solution... and no I don't work for them
    yeah, but the package is like 1000 bucks. Huuuge rip off!!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Jud
    yeah, but the package is like 1000 bucks. Huuuge rip off!!
    Many hosting companies offer miva as a reseller package, you can have the full feature commerce package for around $200. And for what you get, $200 is a steal, even $1000 isn't bad considering it would cost you 10 times that to spend the time programming something even close to that calibre of commerce system (which already includes a point of sale system and credit card transaction processing.)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hard Goods, Digital Goods, the commerce model is the same.
    What I meant was that, for digital goods, you have options like ClickBank (and so don't need to worry about shopping carts) whereas, if you're hoping to sell gas cookers, you're probably stuck with finding a merchant account...
    My best pal's site: Algarve Beach Life :ichatcool:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads