Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Im just curious what do u think cuz i see a lot of ripping and copying and that sign to me is like something that only takes space in the first page....
    So what do u think is it "worth it" to put a copyright sing in your page?

Member #
    Well it isn't any trouble not to is it?
    You should always use it and your should use it on every page not just the homepage.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    My rule is to make it part of an include file and put it in there. It's only one character, so it's not like it's going to consume a major amount of bandwidth.

The other advantage is that, if something ever comes down to a lawsuit, the copyright symbol itself may be archived by tools such as the Internet Wayback Machine as part of the rest of the site. In other words, usage would be established as a result of the technology contained within.

So put it in. It can't hurt anything.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    As soon as you post something original on the internet, it is automatically copyrighted as long as you can prove the date of its creation, as TheGAME said.

Using the icon is really just for show, it doesn't mean anything. But it might keep would-be thieves away, you never know.
    spiral.alchemy
    graphic and web design portfolio

Member #
    • It's a deterrent.
    • It informs the non-web savvy crowd things they find aren't free.
    • Can help portray a professional image via associations.

Member #
    lol i know thats is a "has-2-b" but why??? i cant still undersatnd
    Trico says: It's a deterrent.
    It informs the non-web savvy crowd things they find aren't free.
    Can help portray a professional image via associations.

...... and soo what??? that wouldnt stop somebody to steal your page source or your images or your audio or whatever! I think that the © is just something everybody is used to it and its like a web-insctict so everybody uses it, me to . Maybe the right click disactivation should be better if u dont want somebody not to steal, copy or in some way manipulate your website.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    It won't necessarily stop people from stealing your content. However it can more easily let you bring legal action against those who infringe upon the copyright.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    ...and soo what??? that wouldn’t stop somebody to steal your page source or your images or your audio or whatever!
    Neither would an anti-right click script, but this has been discussed too many times already. If someone is determined to use something they probably will. It's more about stopping accidental theft so to speak. If you're one of the people who believe ignorance isn't an excuse then it won't mean much.

Being a deterent, it isn't intended to completely stop the act of theft. It would divert a certain percentage of people away from doing so just by getting them to question themselves, whilst the die-hard determined crowd would most likely proceed regardless.

You can think of it a bit like meta-tags: They won't harm you, and might even do some good. It still has its place alongside similar marks/symbols (C) (R) TM etc... Is it really that much effort to insert an additional 11 characters into a page?

Either way it's an interesting discussion.

Member #
    I personaly download a lot of flash anims and games I like to veiw offline later. I don't think of this as ripping off. It's more like videoing off TV.

But I'm also guilty of ripping off images to collage & manipulate. How bad am I?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    if you publish original work then you are it's owner ... it's automatically copyright[/i]ed]/i] by law

By using the copyright symbol you are taking an extra step to ensure that your content is not being ripped off by users who are unaware of the laws. Most people already recognize what the copyright symbol represent.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads