Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Well, Firefox is nice, but it's simply not reliable.
    The developers didn't put any effort in making it rock stable.
    In the beginning (6 years ago...) I used IE (like everyone when he's a noob), then later I got Opera and loved it, fast, reliable, and with a lot of cool skins and things.
    Then I saw Firefox 0.8 and thaught that it would be a nice browser, got it and customized it (skins, web dev toolbar, tabs...). But like a week later, and finding a few things I didn't like (too simple status bar IMO, compared to the lots of info Opera gives), the system crashed. Reboot, and Firefox won't run. OK, c'mon, I edited a few files in the FF profile, and then it would run again, but the session with the 10 or so tabs was lost (I had the session saver extension).
    A few days later again a crash (well, a power outage) and again FF won't run, and this time there was no way to get it alive again.
    So trash FF, and get the newest Opera, in 10 minutes it looked the way I like, vs. taking about 1 hour installing and configuring crap in FF.
    That's because Opera has everything out-of-the-box: tabs, tabs drag and drop, session saver (real saver, not only when you close the app manually, but also when windows goes wild), download manager, undo-close-tab, IRC, newsfeed reader, integrated search tool, that works in a lot of engines, blahblah.
    Opera is not free, but at least I don't have to loose 1 hour every time windows gets insane or the power goes away for a while.

In fact: I had almost written this post when the power went away for a less than a second, and opera started as normal, with all the tabs like they were.
    I love Opera

Member #
    I have never had any problems with firefox even after installing a load of extentions on it. Opera I found really slow and I only use it for checking my sites work in most browsers. IE I find is just rubbish and never use it.
    I fint the mozilla stuff bullet proof.

Member #
    ive got a quick question if u instal Firefox can u still use IE?

sorry for somwhat hijacking ur thread

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    You can have as many browsers installed as you want (excluding different versions of some, such as multiple versions of IE).

Bookmark drag-and-drop is present in IE but Firefox has a few more tweaks that I like.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    xarst> To each his own of course. Yes, there was a lot of crashing in 0.8. But you have to remember this stuff is still beta (not for long) so things like that should be expected.

Opera is the biggest POS browswer ever IMO. I'll agree it's faster. I'll agree it's got a better UI. HOwever, no exensions, full of ads and it can't even render CSS2 properly. It renders wrong, but thinks it's doing it right - so the hacks don't even work. Not to mention, it uses a different stylesheet while in fullscreen mode, effectively confusing the hell out of its users. Suddenly when you hit fullscreen the styles go away - WTF mate.

I don't know, I've got quite a few things against Opera. I'd use IE over it any day.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    @Brak:
    The last time I had this problem was with 0.9.2 or 0.9.3, not sure, but one of those two.

Opera works for me and it has been 3 years more or less.
    It has things similar to extensions, that add menus to Opera, called "Setups". It's not as flexible as the extensions, but I don't need so much things, because Opera comes built-in with a lot of things that in FF you need extensions.
    Also I like how flexible Opera is while customizing the toolbars, and I love the feature that hides the status bar once the page has finished loading.

About the fullscreen issue you say: I just hit F11 and it showed up normally... Maybe you were using Opera 1.0...

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    That's because this forum uses media = 'all' which is technically invalid. Projection is supposed to be used for big projection screens and the like. I was using Opera 7.3 (which sub sequentially, refuses to start now for some unknown reason).

I'm having a hard time believing you since you said 0.8, now you're saying 0.9.3... but whatever man I can guarantee you've never used any cool Firefox extensions if you think Opera has the equivalent. I've used those. They suck. And Opera doesn't come packaged with 1/10th the functionality I've added to Firefox. If it has these features, I'll shut up.

-GMail notifier
    -Edit CSS live
    -Disable Forms/Images/JS/Styles (whatever I want)
    -Outline block level elements
    -Display class/id info
    -One button validating buttons
    -Easily Change browser window size to 800x600, 1024x768, etc with one click
    -One button (on toolbar) clear cache
    -Right click view any page/link in IE
    -Google pagerank in status bar
    -5 day forecast in status bar
    -Bookmark synchronization across multiple machines
    -Bandwidth tester
    -Textarea spell checker
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    I only really find Opera useuful when some clever d--k designs an unreadable page in flash/images, the ability to scale everything on the page is nice. Other than that it's locked away in a small corner reserved for testing.

Member #
    @Brak:
    Yep, the only thing I miss from Firefox is the web developer toolbar, but when I only used Firefox for that, the power went out (that's very common in this part of Spain) I won't get FF to run again, and I'm just tired of manually deleting everything from FF and installing again it's extensions and things.
    I download a opera setup from the opera community site that has I think all the features from the web developer toolbar except LIVE css editing.

About the gmail notifier, Opera has built-in email client, so if you set it up correctly you get the same effect.

I have two toolbar presets: the every-day surfing one and the web dev one. Look at the screenie to see how the web dev looks like.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Opera doesn't render in a W3C-comforming way. Note how in your screenshot it hosed the Bigger/Log Out links in the header.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads