Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: New design...

Member #
    I'm designing a new layout for my webdesign site, here is a pic of what I have so far:

http://www.crystalwizard.net/concept.jpg

It's suposed to look like a moded IE window, but I am having trouble getting some of the graphics to look realistic. Does anyone have any advice on technics or lighting I could use to make it look better? Any oppinions on it so far?

Thanks

Member #
    well first off Xp would be a better choice of OS to use imo and as for the lighting I would not add the lighting affect but i really dont know the overall idea behind the design loks iffy but thats jmo

Member #
    Yep I agree, XP/Mac OSX represents 'cutting edge' and looks far more sexy, but even something like the default NT scheme can be more easily related to by businesses.

It's my understanding a client is more likely to care about the surface value of a web site and how it benefits them; in short they couldn't give a hoot what technologies/tools you use. After all your the web designer, not the client how much would they understand?

White on black is murder to read, consider switching it to black on white as I doubt it would drasticaly change the impact of the page. What's with the odd 5 pixel indent on paragraphs?

Member #
    Good idea, I haven't used the default xp theme for so long I forgot it existed, i'll switch it in the final version.

The indent was just weird cause I was using paint for text, and it kinda sucks for it.

I might add a second window for the text, then it would be black on white.

Thanks for the advice.

Member #
    Well, I took some advice, added 6 hours, and here is what I got. I really do like the XP look alot better and went for an overall cleaner look because of it.

http://www.crystalwizard.net/concept two.jpg

I changed the background color of the site to white but I'm still really unsure what to do, both with site colors and the background. Any ideas?

Thanks

Member #
    For the purpose of your layout I'd remove the non standard skinning, to what people are familiar with.

Member #
    Not sure you what you mean about skinning.

Here is the newest version:

http://www.crystalwizard.net/three.jpg

Remove Ads