Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    My daughter was bugging me for a domain name, so I registered one for her, and she has been trying to put together a simple site. I think she may have been using Dreamwaver demo, not sure tho (She's 18 and lives with her mother)

Anyhow, I was looking at the source for her pages, and it sure looks like quite a bit of code for such little content (BTW, all I know is some very basic HTML)

Is there an easier way for her to do this? (Not so much the first page, as it is the tables on the other pages)www.samanthaley.com

Member #
    I guess I should add, this is a VERY basic site. Nothing fancy like most of the others on here. She has never before even attempted any web design. I did tell her to try to make something using notepad and manually typing in all the HTML code, but do kids ever listen? This site serves absolutely no purpose other than she wanted to make it, because some of her friends have sites (and she wanted her own domain name lol)

Member #
    I wish my parent baught me a domain lol the coding seems to be find and I dont think there is an easier way to do it but then again its late and im tired so ill check it out again 2morrow

Member #
    It's not an overkill. If your child shows interest in computer technology, why not support it? Web design will be a useful skill and paying < 10 $ a month for her to keep her interest and learn makes perfect sense. Having you own website is something that will keep up the interest. Maybe you will want to point her to some place where she can learn more (buy her a web design book, for example).

Web hosting yearly costs less than a magazine subscription. If that will teach someone how to make even very basic web sites, it's DEFINATELY worth it.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by misterphotoshop
    I wish my parent baught me a domain lol the coding seems to be find and I dont think there is an easier way to do it but then again its late and im tired so ill check it out again 2morrow
    It was only $14.95 with free basic hosting, so it wasn't that bad

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mixu
    It's not an overkill. If your child shows interest in computer technology, why not support it? Web design will be a useful skill and paying < 10 $ a month for her to keep her interest and learn makes perfect sense. Having you own website is something that will keep up the interest. Maybe you will want to point her to some place where she can learn more (buy her a web design book, for example).
    I meant overkill in the codeing. As I said, I just know some basic HTML, and she did this with dreamweaver, so she really isn't learning much. That is why I got the domain name for her, hopefully to keep her interested enough. I guess I should learn a little more myself, so I can kind of check her work, like when she was little and I had to check her homework

Oh, and the name and hosting is only about $0.25 a day, although I would upgrade the hosting if need be

Member #
    I don't think it's overkill. And the fact that she is using Dreamweaver doesn't mean she is not learning anything. Mastering dreamweaver is a great asset. The, HTML she will learn along the way.

Member #
    If ur daughter would like to really like to get ahead I would recomend learning how to hand code like u mentioned earlier Its much easier to know what ur looking at when u try to debug certain problems and some people may not even consider learning how to code because they think that dreamweaver can do it all for them, so with that all said I think u should really try and encourage here to try and learn this stuff instead

Member #
    So far, so good...

The site is very nice for a beginner. A lot of beginners sometimes like to use a lot of clipart graphics on their pages. I know I did when I started learning HTML at the ripe old age of 10. I'm not 17, and have evolved into a pretty good designer, but man I could use some work. Anyway, very nice as I said before, and you know you can't go wrong with hand-coding. I have never NOT hand-coded a site before in my 7 years of designing. A good book to pick up would maybe be O'Reilly's Web Design in a nutshell. It has all the basic web designing techniques as well as some good reference sites. Good luck!
    Visit my site at http://cleartech.feartech.net It's a site I made to post my wallpapers, screenshots, and links I find interesting.

Member #
    Ooh the background ... not so friendly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads