Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hello, i'am new here.

My name is joshlee. I like to design website, so currently i have learn quite few knowledge related software. Those are html, javascript, flash, photoshop, fireworks, illustrator so far. But i felt that somehow it is still not enough, maybe? Please can someone guide, show or list out to me what more i should know or learn.

I really want to become a great web designer! so i would like to know as much as possible for anything that i should know well.

thanks a lot for everyone!

Member #
    Becoming a great web designer

There is more to it than learning the programs to do it in. I would suggest that as you say you have learnt HTML, I would move onto learning CSS as this is fast becoming a great way to code pages.

From there it is likely that you will need to learn a programming lanugage combination, either PHP/MySQL or ASP/MS SQL. I would recommend the former as it is more widely available.

This thread could be a good resource for you to read through and understand a bit more possibly?

Hopefully this helps a bit .
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Making websites is not rocket science. It is one of the few professions where you can honestly get started for free(legaly) and with very little knowedge. Creating a websites does not require photoshop, flash, javascript or any other piece of commercial software. But for some reason people are more then willing to pay alot of money for this software that will not make them any better any faster. If you know HTML you know enough to create websites.

Member #
    Start to more confusing !

WOW, thanks for your thread, is very useful, it really get into the point but in the other hand i'm getting more and more confusing like XML, PHP, CSS, ASP or what you said PHP/MySQL, ASP/MSSQL. Can you basically describe to me whats that all use for. Everything seems too new to me but i know they have been exit for quite a long time, sorry to let you feel like I'm that kind of stupid!

after this i think i will buy a lot a lot of study guide book for those you mention early. :devious: example the site (www.peachpit.com) there also got the book of PHP!
    follow this:Topic>Programming&Scripting>PHP/....which one is better??? I like this site because i had took a course where they are using one of the book from here.

Do you have any suggestion on where i can buy a study guide that able to guide me from basic to advance, because selecting the right book is very important.

thanks lot.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    There are a few basic catagories of web technologies. Markups, style sheets, server side scripting, client side scripting and database languages(SQL).
    • Markups are things like HTML, XML, XHTML, etc.
    • CSS is the virtually the only style sheet language unless you count XSL*.
    • PHP, ASP, CFM, etc., are some server Side scripting languages. In other words the server is resposiable for processing and the end result is spit to your browser.
    • Javascript is an example of a client side scripting language. In contrast, A client side scritping language does all of its processing on your computer.
    • MySQL MSSQL are some databases server models that share a common database language called SQL. But there are differences how each interperate it.

*XSL is basicly an XML document that is ment for a specific purpose.

I reccomend that you learn XHTML and CSS first. Then once you are comfortable with that move onto a server side scripting language like PHP and familerize yourself with a SQL as you get comfortable with your database model of choice. I personally like postgreSQL for its added featuers like triggers, but MySQL will do perfectly as it is one of the fastest databases around. As you can see webdesign can get quite complicated. But it does not have to be there are many levels to webdesign. But if you want to get into the more advanced topics like serverside scripting and database handling, I reccomend that you start by building a strong base with XHTML and work up from there at a comfortable pace. Just like it much easier to wind a ball of yarn starting from the end then it is to try to start in the middle. Trying to jump right in the middle can actually cause you more problems as you try to sort concepts and ideas that are not even nessessary at this point.

Member #
    Using dreamweaver to design webpage better?

I did saw some of my friend using dreamweaver to design their website and most of them said that it is faster easier and save a lot of time where they can done a complicated website in one hours but i have to do it in halfday, so i don't feel good about that, i'm more likely to write out every single html pure code on notepade to design my website. my question is:

1) Should i continue using ordinary ways to design website or i should follow the technology that available nowsaday?

i need your comment, thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I would carry on as you are... Dreamweaver is one of the best WYSIWYG editors, but it is still likely to confuse the matter if you are serious about learning HTML etc.... the fact is that there is no such thing as WYSIWYG when it comes to the web, as there are so many browsers out there. The only way to ensure that what you want them to see is what they see is to code your pages with these issues in mind, not to assume that because Dreamweaver says your page looks right it is !

Sean

Member #
    Design website through LCD screen cause me problem?

Hello,

I design my website using nootebook that using LCD screen, it is nice, pretty and it look what i really want. BUT, but once i view it on my CRT monitor, it look too big, all the text with picture also become larger than what I expected so i think, if it really upload on web, it will be very very slow where i have extreamly huge pictur, Question is:

1) What resolution should i use next time? the 800x600 or 1024x768 ? most monitor now already in 1024x768 layout?
    2) If i go for 800x600 then once view using 1024x768 will it be too small untill difficult to read?
    3) Should i continue use notebook with LCD or desktop pc with CRT to design ??? which one?

Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    What is the screen resolution of your desktop connected to the CRT, and your laptop?
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Wired
    What is the screen resolution of your desktop connected to the CRT, and your laptop?
    oh, now i see. CRT use 800x600 LCD use 1024x768, thats cause me problem. So, should i design using 800x600 next time? for standard or actually is up to me. Cause most computer today minimum is 800x600!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads