Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    If u have an alternative web browser such as firefox or netscape take a look at this layout in both

http://www.satelliteonline.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

i know its only very minor, and i shouldn't even worry, but its bugging me. Look at the div, it seems smaller in internet explorer than it does in the other browsers. The scroll bar doesn't bump up to the image if u know what i mean.

is this curable or is it one of those things that u have to live with and would take a bit of fiddling around to get right?

Member #
    As far as I can understand from your message (without checking it in Firefox or Mozilla as I don't have the browsers at my current location), it seems that the problem you have having is something to do with the way that other browsers render borders and padding.

Not sure if it something that you can fix, though hoepfully someone else will be able to throw a bit more light on the subject than me as I don't have the tools at the moment.

If I am wrong, then I apologise!
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    Firstly, I suggest you use www.lipsum.com for filler text. It gives a more realistic look than repetative text. Just experiment with the padding of the div to fix that. Use: div.style2{padding-left: 0px; padding-right: 0px;}. It'll take some experimenting to get it exactly right. Before I worry about that I would worry about the way your going about this. There are a lot of flaws in your code that could be worked out. It's really important for your future with web design to know HTML and CSS and any other language you will need. When you let photoshop and dreamweaver do the coding for you, you leave yourself with little hope in the future of being able to fix these little problems. I'd learn the basic rules of tables if I were you, and try to code that same site up in notepad. Sorry if this sounds rude, I'm just trying to help you out. I see much potential in you.
    www.controlalternate.com - Web resources and free templates. www.chaosconcepts.net - Custom web and graphic design.
    www.blog.chaosconcepts.net - My Blog

Member #
    asdf

no offence taken, and appreciate the comment fully. I do know the basics of tables, i did web development at college as well as web management. although it was for a breif period of a couple of months.

In regards to the DIV element problem, thats sorted out. i implemented your suggestion and played around until i got the desired effect. :cheeky:

In regards to the re-doing the code in notepad? could u give me a few pointers. Example, take some samples from my code, and take out what i don't need, and show how it sould ultimatly be.

thx for ur time

Member #
    The site's layout if beutiful I must say. It's nice how you designed it. I have personally found that it's hard to be on top of all three: server scripting, photoshop/flash and D-/XHTML at the same time.

In Opera the left column have like 10px more top-margin in the contact-page than in the other pages, so that might just need some tweaks.

In IE it looks fine. What I've wanted to do with a site like this is to add a JavaScript scrolling for the div in the main area instead of the overflow: auto; as you use now: overflow: hide;

Then attack a scroll script to two up and down arrors to scroll the div. email/pm me for the script which I have locally on this computer... =)

Also add padding for the content-div. Maybe
    padding: 8px;
    or something like that...

Also change the
    a:visited and the
    a:hover colour (color: #ddd or something.

The tables are awful, but luckily you can change the settings in ImageReady to create div instead of table tags. (I was really happy when I found this out myself)

Of course IR won't put it in a wrapper div, and work itself towards the middle with relative and absolute positioning, but it'll atleast create an unique div for each sliced image, from where you can delete the spacer images. I hope that this helped you, and I'd be very happy of you could comment some on http://www.borgarskolan.tk tomorrow at 5:00 pm GMT time or something like that. (live in europe)

//Henke

Member #
    Always love some good pseudo-techno web sites. That's not sarcasm, I really do. A lot of people are down on the metal-techno thing but I still love it time and again when I see the variations.

It'd be nice to have some visual feedback on the site, rollovers on buttons or text. Users like to have feedback in that manner.

Member #
    yeh i could of put rollovers...and have before...just i was learnin at the time how to make ur web pages super slim line and save on loading time. i wanted to try adding rollovers with dreamweaver instead of image ready...is it easy? i'll have to chekc it out. IR seems to create uneccassary code.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech0rz
    i wanted to try adding rollovers with dreamweaver instead of image ready...is it easy? i'll have to chekc it out. IR seems to create uneccassary code.
    I've never used DWeaver's rollover scripts. We just have scripts that are ready to go and we apply them ourselves. IR does indeed create some over-the-top code but I have found it useful in certain situations where a client needs something complicated very fast. I'm always very upfront about what a client will get -- clients always get a choice:

"FAST,
    GOOD,
    CHEAP.
    Pick 2"

Mostly they want it fast and cheap so that means GOOD suffers. IR is great for cranking out a complicated webpage fast but you get all this wacky extra code. If I have time in the budget I rebuild IR tables, if not then they stay in.

Member #
    i understand but when theres only like 5 buttons, if u knew how of course it would be more efficient to do it in dreamweaver purely for the smaller amount of code

Remove Ads