Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Ok - I've got an to create a website and I want to know what and how to charge. per page? per menu?

I want to charge a sensible rate, not ripping off eather me or the custemer.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    This really depends on your skill set and what you have to offer the customer. There really isn't a set fee structure or rates that you have to go by. Just go by what you feel is best based on the situation.

I quote by project myself for that precise reason.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I agree ... there is no set "amount".

Depeneding on who it is and what type of project ... the price can be a few hundred dollars to a few thousand dollars.

If you are new to this ... just go with your gut instinct ...

Offer your customer something that they cannot refuse.

Member #
    Hmmm ... we're back to calculating time involved, arn't we? I'm more of an artist/designer than a techie, and the site would be a few pages of info plus an extensive gallery, plus sorting search engines, webspace, etc.

Member #
    That's a really tough question. it depends on what you want, and like others mentioned, skill set and exactly what you need. Some charge by the hour, some by the project. If you can get a designer to charge by the project it is better for you because you know you will pay "X" amount for what you want, whereas if it is by the hour then you only know a range of possible cost.

But charging by the hour is pretty standard because there are so many variables and the client often changes her mind about the scope as the project moves along. no matter how much you explain about what will be involved, halfway thoruhg the client always says something like "oh this page should have a form" even though you asked before and they assured you there were no forms involved.

The hourly rate should not be your only determining factor. You mostly get what you pay for. The trouble is that it's hard to tell what you're getting for your money. I mean, you will see a finished product, the web page, but there is more to a web page than what you think you see.

Good code is important. Experience, talent, skills, all of these are important though you may not know one or more are being brought to bear in your project. Anyway can open WordPad and make your web site, but what have they brought you that other people can't? It's wise to see their portfolio and ask about their work. Why was one project different than another? Why did you do one particular thing on a site that you didn't sdo for someone else?

Why does someone charge $125/hour instead of $50 or $15? There are reasons, though it's sounds ridiculous to most people to pay top notch prices, you are most likely indeed getting top notch work. Code that has been thought through from different angles, from page load speed to SEO, to W3 validation, usability or accessibility issues, etc. You may getting artwork from someone who has a degree or has studied art from many perspectives, or they may be some kid who just happens to have Photoshop. You may be getting web design from someone who has had to perform under situations where their work was actually tested in usability environments, someone who has studied the psychology of web users and what makes them tick (or click as the case may be), or could get someone who just thinks nav should always be on the left because "that's the way it is".

There's a lot to consider. Most people don't have any idea what goes into real professional web design, so it's often up to the design company to explain a bit about the process and really work with the client to help them understand it.

Member #
    Thank you for being so helpful! You've practicly writern an essay! I'm obviously not going to come up with something as simple as my per-second of animation charges. I hope you all find this as useful as me.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    If you've got previous stuff that prospectives can look at, then you're justified in asking what you think your time's worth.

I know that, if I were a customer, I'd want to see and test some previous work before I committed...

Let's face it, if it doesn't work as a design, the difference between $10 an hour and $100 dollars an hour will fade into insignificance. And the reverse case is also true.

There's also an argument to be made for selecting a designer who has previously created something good in the field within which the customer's business operates. (Which I suppose is a powerful argument for having a varied portfolio - but that does give you a 'chicken and egg' problem. How to get the variety of work, if clients want you to be familiar with their niche already...)
    My best pal's site: Algarve Beach Life :ichatcool:

Member #
    Post your previous work for me, plus how long it took you to create it and I'll tell ya what your worth
    Visit me at www.frogontop.com

Member #
    I've only really done my own site before ~ www.yogyog.org . It's a bit all-over-the-place in a way that what I'll create for bill's stone-carving site won't be. I've allready desided on a price with him though. You've all been very helpful.

Remove Ads