Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

I know these Questions are loose and have many answers but please look from my p.o.v...

thx

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    The main part that really adds complexity to the design is whether or
    not people are able to purchase via the internet with a credit card.

If credit cards are used, you'll need to find a host that has a merchant account subscription. This does cost money and takes a bit of effort to set it all up. Some hosts have a good integration program between your hosted webpage and their merchant account handling ... others don't.

Also ... is the product he sells an actual thing, or is it a method that is in writing. The credit card transaction would need to deal with either shipping of a product, or allowing a download of a .pdf file. Again, this really changes the amount of time it takes to design the site.

Member #
    crap...i didn't think about how the customer would purchase it...because it is actually a product that they buy...i'm relatively new to web design and figuring out how to set up a credit card payment system would be some task. How difficult would it be to set up such a system. Do they have pre-made templates for ordering products? and can anyone give me whatever information they can on this pls? recommendations for payment services to use? any info is greatly appreciated...thx

Member #
    WOW! Congrats on the first gig. I'm gonna try and shed some light because I'm currently in your situation.

First off, I want it to be know that my first job is as a Flight Instructor, and I do this to make extra money, and I am no way saying I am a professional!!

Here was the first site I ever made for $$. Yes, I know it uses frames and its horrible to look at, but their old site was even worse. It took me almost 2 months part time (again I am STILL learning how to do this stuff!).
    www.airfleettraining.com - $500.00 US

Second "quickie" site. I did the design but then the 'reseller' guy added the funky text at the bottom and counter. Took a week or so part time:
    www.captdonsplace.com - $300.00 US

Third site was made as a barter for flight time. I'm not sure what its quite worth but I would say about $600.00 US or so.
    www.airorlandocharter.com

Forth site was/is my current project. It was massive (for me) with something like 50+ pages. I added MUCH new text and even took some of the pictures. It took about 2 weeks of part time work, I'd say its got about 100 hours into it or so.
    www.flyairorlando.com - $1000.00 US

how much would you charge for a business website...
    And the whole point of writing the previous stuff out was that I would charge what I believe the company will pay or close to it. I'm not gonna charge a low amount just so they'll choose me - I determined that awhile ago. It's hard to compete with those 'template' sites that are super cheap, but you have to sell the fact that they'll be working with you personally.

You might be in over your head if you've never done any sort of e-commerce stuff before. If you can find a template type site, that may be your best option. But if someone where to approach me to do a site like that, I'd say atleast $1500.00 US for all the setup involved.

Second Q...What kind of web hosting package do you web designers have to host all your projects? What would you advise for someone just starting out?
    If you plan on doing this a lot and making more sites, it might be worthwhile to get a plan where you can set up unlimited domain names under your own plan, that way you can offer hosting as well as part of your whole 'package' deal - sort of a one-stop-shop for website design, development, publishing, and service. Benefits would be the customer wouldn't have to worry about renewing on their own. Downside is the expense comes out of your pocket intially until you get enough people hosting under you.

does anyone have any other fundamental pointers for someone making a corporate or business website?
    1. Make up a contract.
    2. Finalize what exactly will and won't be in the site.
    3. If client changes ANYTHING after being finalized, charge them the time to change it at the hourly rate as specified in #1.
    4. Determine hosting options & domain names in advance - prior to starting production.
    5. Charge as much as he is willing to pay .

Member #
    First off i think the sites are good...i think i might start adding touches of flash here and there also.

This is really the first website i'll be charging for...thats if i take up the offer...because although one of my subjects at college was e-commerce...i'm not sure how to set up payment systems myself...and the guy is kind of impatient...so i'm thinking of passing up this chance...and maybe learn a bit more about the area before i jump in head first.

i'm still early on in my web designing and have only recently started to think abuot doing it for money. I think, like i can see from your projects, the sites i will be doing at first will be small, mainly html based sites, with a small number of pages and as i progress skill and experience wise i'll venture into new grounds creating bigger more advanced websites. but all in good time.

Thx for all the info tho...i guess it makes sense to charge what u think they will pay. also i'd like to take a look at one of your contracts to get an idea of the sort of things that need to be entailed. i did learn about this sort of stuff in college but didn't really go into it that much. just all the moral, ethical, legal issues etc.

thx again

Member #
    My company recently completed our first project - www.wensleydale-galleries.co.uk. Check it out and examine. We charged 1400 and the client was satisfied.

In US$ that's probly about $600 - $800, but I'm not sure.
    Rednerve
    Creative Freelance Design

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    1400 is about $2500

Sean

Member #
    yeah, that's what I meant. I'm thinking that $1400 is about 600 - 800, aren't I?
    Rednerve
    Creative Freelance Design

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Don't take up accountancy, will7
    My best pal's site: Algarve Beach Life :ichatcool:

Member #
    rofl

i like that site tho, i think 600 - 800 (if thats even what u meant) is an alright price for a website. I could buy alot of stuff with that ;D

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads