Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: W3C validation

Member #
    I was wondering how many of you make valid W3C websites. I did a search with yahoo for website design and I cecked the first 10 companies listed and none of them are W3C valid.

How important it really is that the sites you create are W3C valid? :alien:

Member #
    All my sites comform to the W3C specifications. I think it is very important more people start designing their sites with web standards. Although I do not think it is vital that they "vailidate" on the W3C validator. If you have attempted to get close to it then in some cases that could be good enough.
    The validator is only to check through your work. It doesn't pick up on everything. If your site validates it doesn't mean your site conforms to the web standrds. For example I have designed a website with tables to help present the layout, something which is considered a big no no in many web standard advocate's eyes, and still managed to get it to validate. You are advised not to do so with tables and use then only for tabular data. People not willing to change from using tables should at least validate their pages as XHTML 1.0 Transitional. But now I stay well clear of tables when it comes to the layouts and let CSS do the work and therefore I can validate my website as XHTML Strict. Anyway I am going off on tangents here back on topic.

Understanding and using web standards is important in my opinion. It benefits everyone, your visitors, you and your site. Validating websites I don't think it vital but I do make sure all of my sites validate. Both XHTML and CSS.
    I swear by web standards now and think a lot more people should do so as well. Bigger companies are now starting to step closer to web standards. Even Microsoft have cut down on the number tables used on their site from something in the 40s to something like 7. I can't remeber the exact amount but it seems they are taking steps towards standards.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Validators are great as a guide but they are not the all inclusive authority. Its like a spell checker. It does not catch all mistakes and the mistakes it does catch are not always real mistakes. But like Daniel I do strive to ensure they all do validate.

Member #
    Thanks for answering. I made my site with tables (it is my first one)and still have only some minor errors when I ceck it with the W3C validator. I am new in this and I want to start good, that's why I wanted to know how important it realy is.

Member #
    glyakk said it right. good place to start but not the end. i want to use absmiddle!

it's a really helpful tool to find obvious forehead-slapping things that you would spend an hour looking for yourself. DOH!

don't let people bully you into thinking you're a good-fer-nuttin-coder if your site doesn't validate, and you should try to educate clients who want their pages validated by letting them know all the stuff we're telling you now. Sometimes they do listen and thank you for your honesty, and the knowledge you've shared with them.

other times they tell you you're a good-fer-nuttin-coder and give the job to someone else. heheh...

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    What *really* annoys me is when packages create duff code... at the weekend on another thread I was helping somebody with a site that had been generated by a commercial family tree package that had <td> tags missing... as a result, the page layout was all screwed, though it wasn't immediately noticeable as Internet Explorer was making a "best attempt" at showing the page which actually looked pretty much as it should... it was only when you tried to customise the layout you realised it wasn't possible :-(

Where is the quality control? Such basic errors, and this is within something commercial...

Sean

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by seanmiller
    Where is the quality control? Such basic errors, and this is within something commercial...
    I don't mind it so much - it helps to give me a career!

"I bought this software the other day that helps me make pictures for the Internet. It came with this free software for making web sites but I'm having some issues..."

That is sweet sweet music to my ears...

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Fine if the generating code is open source and you can modify it for a customer... create a new branch etc.... but if it is not, then there's not a lot you can do... especially not if, like this software I'm speaking of, the whole idea is to regularly use it to regenerate the whole site automatically!

..perhaps write a script to parse through the generated code and fix the HTML I guess... but then the whole thing starts to become messy!

Would be better if the software vendors took their job seriously in the first place!

Sean

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by seanmiller
    if, like this software I'm speaking of, the whole idea is to regularly use it to regenerate the whole site automatically!
    Gotcha. I actually started a project like that myself, trying to make a shopping cart set of pages look nice when the darn thing would keep regenrating the pages. Ugg...

Remove Ads