Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Okay, this amatuer web design hack has finally been forced by necessity to learn how to do the drop-down menu, or more specifically, because the links are on the left, I guess you'd call it a fly-out menu. (I don't know if that makes a difference.)

I've read a bit through searching here and what I gather is that you can do it via DHTML and you can also do it via CSS. (If there are other ways, like JavaScript, I don't know.)

Because I'm starting from scratch here, my question then, is, does anyone care to share an opinion on which way is the best way to go? I would guess the main concern would be how many versions back in IE, Mozilla and Opera the chosen code would be compatible. Perhaps there are other considerations as well.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.
    ~ mikeycorn
    With over 72,000 questions worth of user submitted quizzes, it's the world's most popular quiz creation software:
    PEST - The Personal Exam Self-Tester

Member #
    this is still in a weird situation as far as I am concerned. I don't think u can do a pure css dropdown without these "enhancement" or "mod" files that make IE behave like Mozilla on :hover

and people say it's not good to use javascript necessarily because someone may have it turned off and then how they heck with they navigate your site? personally i've never seen anyone turn off javascript except at my company where we turn it off to test things to see how they degrade when js is turned off. Heh...

so personally i don't know how much stock i put in the old "don't rely on javascript alone" saw. it depends on your goals and audience.

when i do them it's basically a hide/show DIV thing. Although i am working on a web site for a company currently in which i am doing a hide/show on a UL/LI setup so that the nav is still all in one list. pretty cool. but it's still not pure css.

here's a basic hide/show DIV thing in action:
    http://www.autosolutionsproducts.com/
    on products and then on services u get a "drop down". or as this case may be, maybe it's a "move over". i guess some people call this a flyout although there isn't any animation on it. notice on home page that it opens to the side, then on sub pages it oipens down.

Remove Ads