Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey guys,

I'm looking to promote my new site (I won't name it here), and I wondered if any of you had any tips on promotion. I want to bring in at least 100 people to start (it's a forum), so how do you think I should go about this?

Thanks in advance,
    - Justin Scheetz

Member #
    there's always the popular "dressing up as Batman and scaling Buckingham Palace."

find forums that have people interested in what you sell, or that relate to your business. be helpful in that forum. try not to let on that you're only in that forum for this purpose... oops!

join email lists that have people reading who are interested in what you provide. when they ask questions, reply and be helpful. don't let on that you're only replying in an effort to promote yourself. Oops... I gotta stop talking so loud...

but isn't it the same thing in the end? i mean, if you're nice to someone and you give them free advice, something that you actually get paid for and that they don't have a clue about, you may be (in your head) "promoting yourself" but to that person you're just being nice. so you both win.

i average about 50 people a day at my site but that's not really important to me at this point - weird and interesting, but not important. I just launched it like a month ago so i know it will take time. and i don't really offer much, a couple web design tips and techniques, some clipart, not much, just hoping i keep up with it - am hoping to have a new article by someone other than ME soon! but i get @ 50 people a day or so because of the various places i post and the one or 2 sites that have links to me - one site ( http://www.meryl.net/css/cat_w.php )sent me almost 150 people the first day they had me linked.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    There's millions of ways.. why not start by defining your target audience?
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeBandit
    find forums that have people interested in what you sell, or that relate to your business. be helpful in that forum. try not to let on that you're only in that forum for this purpose... oops!
    Well, I'm not only in this forum to promote, I'm here to learn and to give advice to others. I didn't LIST my site I am trying to promote exactly for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeBandit
    join email lists that have people reading who are interested in what you provide. when they ask questions, reply and be helpful. don't let on that you're only replying in an effort to promote yourself. Oops... I gotta stop talking so loud...
    Know of any really good email lists?
    - Justin Scheetz

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzyne
    Know of any really good email lists?
    I like LED Digest from led-digest.com. It's a marketing list. It has it's ups and downs but overall occasionally informative, and the people who use it are pretty interested in being good at what they do so sometimes they share their knowledge. I've gotten some decent tips through it for DOs and DON'Ts though i probably couldn't list those for you. I mainly find it helps with SEO tips and sometimes people talk about shopping cart stuff which i know one day i'll need to know about.

Remove Ads