Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey guys/gals this is my first time posting and my first time actually making my own website. I am pretty good in photoshop and have tried messing with websites before but the most i've gotten was sites done in frontpage or dreamweaver. I have an idead now that I can't seem to do in either of those programs... So hopefully someone can help me out with what i want to do... I will explain and have provided a visual...

http://www.digital8ball.net/test_layout2.jpg

I dont know first off how i should format the page. If I should use Frames like i listed or an easy faster loading way, you guys may know? The center where the text will be I would like to be "the main viewing area" so for instance if i have a link at the bottom for "my journal" when you click it, it will open up in the center. I also want the whole layout to be opened in a seperate browser that is not resizeable / non scrollable (pop-up). so when you type in the URL (www.digital8ball.net) it will automatically open a intro page then OPEN a seperate MAIN PAGE. my only problem/question I am wondering is if someone has a pop-up blocker program will it think it's an advertisement and not allow it to open ?

My other question as far as the image goes of myself fading away... How would i format the image so in case i do use frames do i seperate the image by colors ?

Sorry if I am unclear I am horrible when explaining things, I'm more a visual person.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hey,
    You can use frames for your site. The way that you have it set up, where you labeled where you want your different frames, sounds okay... I would suggest using an iframe for your content though, instead of three seperate frames, but that's really just a personal preference of mine. I don't really like making a total frame-based site.
    About your site opening up in a new window (non-scrollable, etc) - you will have to still have a main page for when the user types your address into the address bar, but have a javascript function that pops that window up in front of it - either automatically or when the user presses some kind of enter button. but so you know - that can be an annoyance to some, but if you really want to do it, go ahead... And to your question about the pop-up software, yes, some people's software WILL think it is an ad. So, that is why if you do choose to do it, make sure you have a button to open it on the main page, in case a pop-up blocker does block it from opening, then the user can re-open it.
    But, if the reason why you want that window to open is because your site is a fixed size, just to let you know, there is another option - to center your site on the page. I do that with pretty much every site I make, for example, www.with-this-ring.com is a good example because it is a pretty small site, but I have it centered in the page.
    About your image fading away, I don't really understand your question, but if you are talking about how your head extends over the top portion of the site, you can just slice your image so that you have it in two pieces, the top and bottom, and then put one piece in your header and one in the body section.
    Well, hope I addressed all your Qs.. Let me know if I can help you in any other ways.

Heather
    choosy developers choose gif!
    website | paintings | blog

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Heather, I have a dial-up modem ... I finally gave up waiting for your flash site
    to load. I hope potential customers don't do what I did and just close their browser. :surprised:

... or maybe there aren't many dial-up users like me left anymore.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    oh, sorry about that... well, anyways, you can find a lot of sites like that where they center it in the screen, it was just a suggestion.
    choosy developers choose gif!
    website | paintings | blog

Member #
    Centering things is actually very easy with a little CSS. Then you can get rid of any ugly, non-compliant "height="100%" on a table. Here's an example:

Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
    <head>
    <title>Center Test</title>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
    <style type="text/css">
    .center {
    	width:200px;
    	margin:30% auto 0px auto;
    	border:2px solid black;
    	background-color:#E6E6E6;
    	text-align:center; /* Used only to center the text inside the box, not actually the box */
    }
    </style>
    </head>
    <body>
    <div class="center">Look ma, I'm in the middle!</div>
    </body>
    </html>
    Nothing special. Quick, dirty and hella efficient.

On to the design though, personally, from the looks of the "comp", I'd say that's a job for Flash. However, doing it in xhtml wouldn't be rocket science, either and it wouldn't involve any frames.

Once you have the basic structure set up, you can use CSS's "overflow" property to manage the text and give yourself that little scroll window you're after. Again, no frames or javascript required. :-)

Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
    <head>
    <title>Center Test</title>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
    <style type="text/css">
    .center {
    	width:200px;
    	height: 50px;
    	overflow: auto;
    	margin:30% auto 0px auto;
    	border:2px solid black;
    	background-color:#E6E6E6;
    	text-align:center; /* Used only to center the text inside the box, not actually the box */
    }
    </style>
    </head>
    <body>
    <div class="center">Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Vivamus neque. Donec tincidunt ante vitae dui. Nullam tortor sem, </div>
    </body>
    </html>
    Juvenall Wilson_______[juvenall@gmail.com]_________________
    Forum Directory - ForumFox.com
    YaBB Project Admin/Former allmusic.com designer

Remove Ads