Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I'm sure a lot of people have heard:

"Why bother to make it compliant? Most people use IE and it doesn't care for standards so why should I?"

Well, with more and more people turning to alternate browsers (especially Firefox) is it time for people to get their *** into gear and make accessible, standards-supporting websites? My site statistics show that 52% of my visitors use Firefox with ~40% using IE. Fortunately my site is viewable correctly in both and validates as XHTML 1.0 and CSS compliant.

So as I've demonstrated, IE's dominance is collapsing and hopefully this will mean an increase in the number of sites that will validate.

And this is not just a plea to us web designers, but to the companies that make the WYSIWYG editors. Surely it's possible to make standards compliant code? I know you can edit the code given but I bet most people don't.

Anyway, I hope support Firefox keeps on increasing as Microsoft really have lost the plot with IE (where is fully alpha transparency support? Surely they could have put that into SP2? How about increased standards support?) and people are beginning to wisen up to it's faults.

Let's look forward to cleaner code and more accessible websites!

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I also have been detecting a steady increse of alternate browsers for the past year or so, but not quite as drastic..

I would love to see a browser challange IE's dominance. Not because I hate IE, but because compitition breeds better product. It's no wonder why IE is so behind. What reason would you have to improve if you dominated the market.

Fortunatly not all companies, such as Adobe, share the same way of thinking.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    IE still holds ~93% of the browser share. That's not going to fall anytime soon (ever). I might see it fall to around 80% where mozilla has a good portion of users, but it will never reach IE's dominence.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Exactly, Brak. Microsoft has too much of a stake now for anyone to ever really cut into it seriously any time soon. I would be inclined to think that, at worst, it would fall to about 83-84% within a year. Even then, that's highly unlikely.

spl1nter: your stats come from a very small sample (1 website, of unknown traffic) and may or may not reflect your own browser preference if you're the type to set your default home page to the site. So it really doesn't establish much of anything.

Across the over 30 sites AWD has worked on, the stats are much more in favour of IE (approx. 91% compared to about 6% NS/FF, 2% Opera and 1% miscellaneous). This is more in line with general web figures.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    I'm not saying my site has any significance in terms of the internet as a whole, I was just providing it as a sample. I have also disabled my IP (which is static) from being shown in these figures.

I also heard IE had only (lol. Only :P) 86% of the market but the real figure will never be known.

I'm not saying Firefox is going to go and destroy IE's dominance overnight cos things like that don't happen. All I'm saying is that I believe other browsers (especially Firefox) will gain a significant user base in a few years time, enough to make more websites realise they need to support the standards.

I also believe no one browser will ever have the market dominance IE has enjoyed.

Microsoft have made a meal of it.

Member #
    Slashdot has done quite some coverage on this topic:

Firefox Browser On An Upward Trend http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0...&tid=154&tid=1

Mozilla Usage Doubles in 9 Months http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0...&tid=154&tid=1

and more
    http://slashdot.org/search.pl?tid=&q...t=1&op=stories

Remove Ads