Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi pal,

Your site is pretty cool... I want to set up a web site on one of my home pc's just so friends and relatives can access it, something very simple just to show pics'n stuff I was wondering if you have any suggetions as to where I need to start...

Thanks

Member #
    thunderclap,

Don't hijack other peoples threads!

If you have an unrelated question, start your own thread!

Many of our visitors comes here through a Google (or other) search result. They find a thread containing their key-words, and expect the thread to follow that train of logic.

The WDF team tries to uphold that logical flow, by making sure threads don't break into a cacophony of different personal desires.!
    _________

If you have a question that specifically targets the thread starter (or any other thread contributor), then PM them!

We strongly encourage you though, to place your request in a thread of your own, to make that thread a searchable problem presentation on Google, Alta-Vista, Yahoo, and what have you.

(Make sure the title of your thread reflects the problem presented in your post!)
    S. Rosland

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    I've split the thread and moved it to the appropriate section. Rosland is correct in that each thread is for a very specific topic. Topics spilling into each other hurt every one and help no one.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Thunderclap ....

Not a good idea to set up a web page on your home PC.

Your PC would need to be ON at all times, and your IP address would
    need to be fixed. Most ISP's use dynamic IP addressing ... each time you make a connection, the IP address changes. You would need to run web server software with good fire-wall protection. It's just not worth it.

Find a web host online that you can set up an account and "rent" a website with your own domain name. You can find some without any banner ads for $5 to $10 per month ... and that includes your own domain name.

I don't want to spam business names, but here's a couple:
    http://www.netfirms.com
    http://www.ipowerweb.com

Once you have a spot, you will need to create web pages. Find tutorials online by searching on Google. It's really easy, and it's fun!

Remove Ads