Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi all,
    I have been asked to create a webpage that will display jpeg images in a certain way. Say a certain image size, three pics across, six pics down, that type of gallery. Since these images will be pulled up from a folder on the webserver that a member of staff looks after the pics only need to be resized for the display on the webpage, not actually resized themselves. Are there any 'How-to's' or examples, can this be coded in HTML, VBScript or Java ? What about any feeware plug-ins or applications ? Any advice greatly appreciated,

Mitch...

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    This is going to involve a server-side language such as PHP or Perl.

These programs will reside on your web host's server and would need to
    be installed and configured by you. There are many "gallery" type programs scripts available ... prices vary.

The part about re-sizing complicates things a little. Not all web hosts allow users to utilize the photo resizing modules they may or may not have installed on their servers. This means, you would have to have the correct size images uploaded to begin with.

If your company owns their own server, your I.T. team would need to get involved in setting up server side modules for you to use in the re-sizing on-the-fly options.

All of this is somewhat advanced ... you are going to need to specify whether you are using an outside web host, or using an internal server within your company (like an intranet).

Member #
    Cheers Mlseim,
    we have the webserver here, its a Windows 2003 Server. Will PHP work on a windows based server ? I thought it was a linux based tool, but i'm not entirely sure.
    Anyway, i'll search around for any scripts that may assist me in this project.
    Thanks again,
    Mitch...

Quote Originally Posted by mlseim
    This is going to involve a server-side language such as PHP or Perl.

These programs will reside on your web host's server and would need to
    be installed and configured by you. There are many "gallery" type programs scripts available ... prices vary.

The part about re-sizing complicates things a little. Not all web hosts allow users to utilize the photo resizing modules they may or may not have installed on their servers. This means, you would have to have the correct size images uploaded to begin with.

If your company owns their own server, your I.T. team would need to get involved in setting up server side modules for you to use in the re-sizing on-the-fly options.

All of this is somewhat advanced ... you are going to need to specify whether you are using an outside web host, or using an internal server within your company (like an intranet).

Member #
    There is a free program that will do excactly what you want check it out at http://jalbum.net/

Hope this helps

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    With a Windows Server (non-UNIX), you'll be looking for ASP (.asp) applications. PHP is only on UNIX servers? I believe it is, because it's an offshoot of Perl. Someone will correct me on this if I'm wrong.

Member #
    PHP runs very well on windows servers, but you will find some differences once you get into some of the more advanced features, between linux and windows based php.

I'd also look into MYSQL, another freeware package that runs justfine under windows.

- Chris

- Chris
    -----------------------------------------------
    I know just enough to be dangerous to myself and others around me... I'm more of a CSS kamikaze than a CSS ninja...

Member #
    Bingo, I run a Win2k3 server at home for development and run Apache2, PHP and mySQL on it.

Most Windows Servers you'll find through a hosting company *will* have PHP installed on them. As long as yours is in the majority, you'll be good to run the best gallery script around..Gallery (http://gallery.sourceforge.net/)..lol. That's simply the most amazing package I've ever used and I know for a fact it works on Windows ;-)
    Juvenall Wilson_______[juvenall@gmail.com]_________________
    Forum Directory - ForumFox.com
    YaBB Project Admin/Former allmusic.com designer

Member #
    Thank-you gents, that leaves me with plenty to be getting on with...

Member #
    you'll be good to run the best gallery script around..Gallery (http://gallery.sourceforge.net/)..lol. That's simply the most amazing package I've ever used and I know for a fact it works on Windows
    Ditto to that, I have just done a gallery & its soooo simple to configue & keep updated!

Gets my vote,

MCW
    [URL=http://www.madcowweb.co.uk]Lancashire Web Design/URL]

>>Please excuse the spelling in my signatures <<aranoid: aranoid:

Remove Ads