Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Well I was wondering how much you people would charge for this website www.willohomes.com

the intro took me about 20 hours, design 10, coding around 120 hours

what do you people think a reasonabble price would be?

ps Im not sure if there gonna even pay me for this (long story) but jsut for the next website I do I would like to know approximetly how much to charge. thanx!

Member #
    Just for reference, if you're in the US (or parts of Europe), talking about rates, fees or asking "what to charge" from those whom you are not directly working with (say, people in the same company) is a violation of Anti-Trust laws and can result in big fines or even jail time.

So as a developer who makes money building sites, I can't comment (Stupid, ain't it?)
    Juvenall Wilson_______[juvenall@gmail.com]_________________
    Forum Directory - ForumFox.com
    YaBB Project Admin/Former allmusic.com designer

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Good lord get over it!! He's just asking a simple question. This is a forum where people in the same industry are going to ask questions like this on an everyday basis. He is not malitiously trying to 'steal' yours or anybody elses customers by making you give up protected information. He is just trying to get an assesment on the value of a perticular project he has done. There is nothing wrong with somebody trying to get their berings when they are starting out.

Although I will state that the value of anything you do can only be determined by you. If you charged $400 for the site and feel that you were properly compensated for the work than you have your answer. If you think you probably should have gotten more than there you go, raise your rates. This is just as subjective as designing itself. Ive seen people charge 20 bucks and a 12pack of beer to design a site that somebody else would charge thousands of dollars for. As some rules of thumb consider these.. If your time is at a premium charge more, if your skills are in high demand charge more, if you have a proven trackrecord charge more, if you need to pay rent charge more. Only you can decide what the value of your work is. There is no chart to go by. Determin your price based on what you know your client can handle against what you know you can offer them.

Member #
    Good lord get over it!! He's just asking a simple question. This is a forum where people in the same industry are going to ask questions like this on an everyday basis. He is not malitiously trying to 'steal' yours or anybody elses customers by making you give up protected information. He is just trying to get an assesment on the value of a perticular project he has done. There is nothing wrong with somebody trying to get their berings when they are starting out.
    You're missing the point.

This isn't about stealing customers or being worried I'll be under cut. Hell, I'm locked into an exclusive contract by a really big client for the next 14 months so it wouldn't matter to me what anyone here does. Even more so, it's not like I'm saying "I won't help you learn", I'm saying "Practice ethical business and follow the laws as they are." Its the exact same reason well respected groups for web developers, such as the HTML Writers Guild does not allow it's members to talk about price. The same thing goes for places like FlashKit. Last time I was around there, talking about price in the Boardroom is grounds to be banned. It could bring the hammer down on not only the members but whoever is hosting the violation. In the end, it's just something you do if you value your business.

What I can say is that if you're just starting out, the biggest lesson to learn is to set a price before you start the project and get it in writing. That way, when you've spent 40 hours working on something, you know exactly how much you'll make. Next, for those just starting, I always suggest you start off by charging a small fee so you can build up your portfolio. I can't tell you how many projects I did for under $50 simply to build up a little power behind the name. That's not to say they were cheep, but I quickly got a rep for doing good work at a good price. Once that built up over a few months, I was at a point where I couldn't take all of the clients I was getting.
    Juvenall Wilson_______[juvenall@gmail.com]_________________
    Forum Directory - ForumFox.com
    YaBB Project Admin/Former allmusic.com designer

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Price questions can be posted here, although it would be better in the future to keep the client anonymous.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    im not asking how much I should charge for that site directly just how much for one similar to it. just for future refferences because I have another site somewhat maybe in the works

Member #
    I would be suggesting that you calculate what you think 1 hour of your time is worth. Then based on the site you have already completed, how long this took to create.

Once you have this figure, consider your (potential) client and the amount you think that that can afford to pay and are willing to pay for your services.

Telling a client that can only afford to pay $3,000 that the site will cost $10,000 is not going to win you the business. You need to consider the individual clients concerned.

It is hard to make this adjustment due to the fact that your time is valuable but this is the way you need to think to pay the rent. Charging a client more just to pay the rent may not get the business, sometimes charging less gets you more in the long run.

Member #
    yeah I know what you guys mean.. Got to start at the bottom and work your way up

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Telfie
    Telling a client that can only afford to pay $3,000 that the site will cost $10,000 is not going to win you the business. You need to consider the individual clients concerned.
    Maybe not with your marketing techniques. Especially if you're using words like afford and cost.

You need to consider how much money people are making off these websites. Also, as a sidenote realize that sometimes bidding $10,000 while your competitors are bidding $3,000 may get you the job.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Brak
    Maybe not with your marketing techniques. Especially if you're using words like afford and cost.

You need to consider how much money people are making off these websites. Also, as a sidenote realize that sometimes bidding $10,000 while your competitors are bidding $3,000 may get you the job.
    I agree that it may well do ... hence the comment that you need to consider each client. Each client will have different views on things.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads