Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    hi,i like to open a website,it will have a forum with minimum1000 to 5000 member's,also mp3 download.and 400/500post a day[minimum]
    now pls tell me,
    how much speac i need,
    how much bandwith i need.
    u can see i'm totaly lost :disappointed:

Member #
    maybe, not sure.. you need 2GB space or more, 6GB bw or more

Member #
    hmm,6GB bandwith a month or day?

Member #
    i'd say monthly, these feats are to start, if you exceed, then you need to upgrade.

Member #
    That all depends on a huge number of factors.

First, if you're going with a very graphich heavy design for your forum, you're going to use huge amounts of bandwidth. For one project I have, we have 4400 members and average about 300 posts a day from about 75-100 active members. It's a really "simple" deisgn as most things are done through well designed CSS and very trim themes (via an SMF (http://www.simplemachines.org/) ). That site pulls between 20-35gigs a month.

What you need to understand is that the vast majority of your traffic will come from people who simply shadow your board and don't post. For the most part, they will take up the biggest chunk of bandwidth. A very close second is that active user base. They tend to stick around all day looking for new posts to reply to. So they'll refresh constantly and keep sucking up more and more bandwidth as they go.

Then on top of that, if you're going to offer MP3 files (which you legally can use as most hosts will kill your account and erase your hard work if you don't) you're going to have to add in a huge margin there. If you're talking about adding popular songs, I would expect you would need to factor in at least another 50-100 gigs a month. However, if they're just local bands, you could get away with just another 10-20gigs.

Space is a whole different beast as well. It totally depends on the host you get. Here you could need as little as 50 - 100mb as long as they don't count SQL usage in that number (and many modern hosts still don't). If, however, the host does keep track of that as well, expect your needs to blow up..big. I have forum databases that are 2-3gigs alone.

So if you're looking to start off right, get yourself a dedicated box. They'll run you as little as $100 a month if you go through some place like Server Beach (http://www.serverbeach.com). However, building a forum that is as active as you're talking about is no small feat. As someone who's worked in the bulletin board "industry" for the last 5 years as a developer of some really big name projects and currently as an admin with the pioneering board for modern BB layouts, I can say that the 95% of all boards that start out will fail to get any huge traffic or quality users. So you may not need something huge to get started with. Just like kokushta said, it may be better to upgrade as you need.

Anyhow, hope I've helped! :-)
    Juvenall Wilson_______[juvenall@gmail.com]_________________
    Forum Directory - ForumFox.com
    YaBB Project Admin/Former allmusic.com designer

Member #
    thanx,but still i have problem.
    see i'm frm bangladesh,and don't have any clue about webhosting.
    anyweb host i check in my city[dhaka] they say i d'nt need big Space.
    and they give offer me-
    Standard Hosting*/
    Tk 2450.00[41$] Yearly Fee
    Setup Fee Free
    Same Day Activation
    Disk Space & Traffic*
    50MB Disk space
    2GB Monthly traffic
    ~200,000 hits/month
    Domain Name
    Your own domain name (e.g. www.yourname.com)
    Free assistance with domain name registration/transfer
    New Domain Registration Tk 850.00
    True Domain (static IP)
    Site Management Tools*
    7 Days FTP access
    Web-based control panel
    Detailed traffic stats

Developer Hosting*-
    Tk 3450.00[58$ doller] Yearly Fee
    100MB Disk space
    5GB Monthly traffic
    ~500,000 hits/month

E-Commerce Hosting*-
    Tk 7999.00[134$] Yearly Fee
    300MB Disk space
    now tell me which one is better?
    10GB Monthly traffic
    ~1000,000 hits/month

Member #
    Those arn't bad prices, but I really wouldn't be happy being forced to pay yearly (simply because you may not be happy with their service in 6 months, but you're stuck with them because you've already paid).

If you're really sure about this and that you're going to get all the users you're talking about, I would go with the Developer Hosting to start with and if needed, upgrade down the road. However, I'd be more concerned with a)how many people are they packing on each server and bhow they're connected (i.e. what backbones are they attached to).

Member #
    gr8,now tell me good webhost name
    bcoz i didnt like idea yearly paying

Member #
    Well, if you're in Bangladesh, I'm not sure what to tell you. Many of the great hosting companies will not offer service to people living in that part of the world due to the high rate of fraud that comes out of there. So you may need to do a search at HostIndex or HostSearch and see what you can find.

Remove Ads