Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi, I am very new to web design and only learned about HTML within the last week. I have read all the tutorials and understand HTML well at this point and am getting better at JSP and php so that I can eventually create a dynamic site. I am using Dreamweaver to do all this and am having some trouble. I need to create a horizontal table at the top and two vertical tables on both sides with the body of the site in the middle. My problem is; the side table does not want to have anything next to it. The type immediately starts below the table and typing above it only results in the table moving down the page (keep in mind this is in Dreamweaver). I figured out I could handcode around this by creating a giant table in the syntax:

HTML Code:
    <TABLE BORDER=3>

<TR>
    <TD ROWSPAN=2>links</TD>
    <TD COLSPAN=2>heading</TD>
    <TD COLSPAN=2>body</TD>
    </TR>
    </TABLE>
    This is fine for a simple homepage, but I want to implement a news posting system in the middle with the tables on the sides. If Im not making much sense here, I basically want a layout similar to that of http://gtagaming.com.

So my questions are:
    • How do I keep the side tables locked so that I can edit the center of the page without having to only type above or below the tables?
    • What should I use to create that news-post system like in the link I gave?
    • How should I go about implementing that in my Dreamweaver design layout?

Thanks, and sorry for being a complete idiot with this stuff

Member #
    We all have to start off somewhere right?

What you're going to need is a dirty little thing known as "nested tables". While you really shouldn't use tables at all to develop a layout, I find that for those starting out, it's a good way to get a grip on structure of a page.

Basically, a nested table is just that; a table inside a table and it's how most designes like the one you pointed out are developed.

Here's an example:
    <table>
    <tr>
    <td>
    <table>
    <tr>
    <td>Stuff</td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    </td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    [/code]

This gives you (as you can see) a table that's inside of another table and far more control over how things are set up on your page. So you can now go about a page layout like this

Code:
    <table>
    	<tr>
    		<td>Your Page Header</td>
    	</tr>
    	<tr>
    		<td>Left Sidebar</td>
    		<td>
    			<table>
    				<tr>
    					<td>Article Title</td>
    				</tr>
    				<tr>
    					<td>here you can put some story text</td>
    				</tr>
    			</table>
    		</td>
    		<td>Right Sidebar</td>
    	</tr>
    	<tr>
    		<td>Footer</td>
    	</tr>
    </table>
    Again though, I want to stress that good design should only use tables to display tabular data and not for design. That's what CSS is for, but that's a different lesson and a far harder subject to get into..heh.

Now, to your second question of the "news-post system", that's tricky. If you're asking what language to program it in, I would say use PHP simply because it's fast, easy and on just about ever host on the market. In fact, that's exactly what the link uses (if you can't tell from the .php there..lol).

Finally, as to implementing that in Dreamweaver, that's really something you sort out as you develop the script or after you have it written.

Hope that helps :-)

(Typed up quickly, so please forgive any spelling errors/typos!)
    Juvenall Wilson_______[juvenall@gmail.com]_________________
    Forum Directory - ForumFox.com
    YaBB Project Admin/Former allmusic.com designer

Member #
    Thanks for that code. I guess there really is no magic way to make a layout like I want without getting some good HTML experirence. I was dead wrong thinking that Dreamweaver would compensate for my lack of knowledge (what good is a WYSIWYG program if you dont know what the heck it does :-)). Anyway, I figured that php was probably the best language for dynamic coding, but I was more curious what program they use for that "news-post system" (I stil dont know what they call it, but you see sites like that everywhere). It couldn't be handcoded, that "leave a comment feature" must pretty complicated (in my mind at least). I Googled it and found nothing.

Thanks again.

Member #
    Actually it's not too bad of aPHP script, but for someone new to PHP it can be very daunting.

I think you might be reffering to some form of blog software, I know it's fairly widely used.

For PHP tutorials, I always liked to use Code Walkers. There are tons more, doo a google search on "PHP Scripts" or "PHP Tutorials" Good Luck!
    -----------------------------------------------
    I know just enough to be dangerous to myself and others around me... I'm more of a CSS kamikaze than a CSS ninja...

Member #
    As to what program they use on that site, I doubt it's an "off the shelf" one. Most places like that use a custom designed/in-house program to manage those sorta things.

Without taking some time to learn about everything, the only option would be to try using something like Post Nuke (http://www.postnuke.com). It's basically a web site in a box that'll give you a layout just like the one you're talking about as well as a ton of other features (such as a news posting script).
    Juvenall Wilson_______[juvenall@gmail.com]_________________
    Forum Directory - ForumFox.com
    YaBB Project Admin/Former allmusic.com designer

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    This post might not have any value to the post but I wanted to comment on the statement above that designing using tables is a good starting point for beginners. Although that is how many of us starting designing websites years ago I think it would be a step backward for beginners today. Designing using tables is so radically different than using CSS that you honestly will have to unlearn everything you know about tables to understand CSS layouts. So if your plans are to do this sort of thing for a living and want to 'eventually' get into a higher form of webdesign using CSS, dont wait. Start learning CSS now befor tables corrupt your mind.

Remove Ads