Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Forms handling

Member #
    Hi-I am creating a site that will sell classified ad space for horses. This is a 3 part question.

1)I will need to have customers fill out a form so that users can contact them if they are interested in an animal. When these forms are travel between a user's computer and the form handler...how do you make them safe from someone intercepting the info?

2)Does anyone know of a good, easy form handler? I use Dreamweaver and am not very proficient at html...yet.

2)So many sites that sell classified ad space ask you to register. What exactly is the purpose? I'd rather not require this but is there a good reason to do so?
    Thanks so much!

Member #
    Some people will disagree with what I suggest, I'm just letting you know what works for me.

1) When I handle forms, I use Perl. I set method="post" in my form tag which prevents the form information from being displayed in the address bar. That helps keep the information secure if the user is on a public computer of some sort. Nothing is going to be 100% safe if someone is determined to steal your information, but I don't know too many shady souls who would sit on a classified horse ad site to steal info.

2) Can't help you there. I forced myself early on to learn HTML and I'm very glad I did. I code all my pages by hand using a text editor which allows pages to load faster and react the way I want to.

3) Registration allows the site owner several things. They can harvest email addresses and information about their user base. Registered users can be set up to have their username display in the sites access logs. The site owner would then see only one user visiting the site if the same person accessed the site from home and work. Registration can also be a mini roadblock to help stop your site from being spammed automatically by software designed to post ads on your site. I've always told my friends, if you aren't collecting money, don't bother your users with registration.

Remove Ads