Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Ok well I have my navigation section and it's in a div of course since I am using CSS but I need to add more to my navigation section. I know now I have to go through all my pages to make changes since my navigation is of couse on every page and I didn't want to use frames. So my question is is there anyway that I could have my navigation on a seperate page and then have it linked to every page that I need it. Sort of like what you do for javascript things.

If that doesn't make any sense just let me know.

Member #
    There are 2 options.. SSI or PHP include.. If your server has PHP capability, here is a tutorial for you:
    http://www.joe2torials.com/php_includes.php
    If you use SSI.. I dunno how..
    www.controlalternate.com - Web resources and free templates. www.chaosconcepts.net - Custom web and graphic design.
    www.blog.chaosconcepts.net - My Blog

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    Well I tried it and it works almost. What happens is that if I go click a link leadnig me to a new directory in my site it keeps the original link thus making it a broken link.

Basically what I am saying is that in index.php if I click a link to go to html/secondPage.php then it works fine. But if I click a link to go to any other part of the site from secondPage.php it adds an extra html/ to the path creating a broken link.

Does that make sense?

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    huh!?!?

maybe some code would help?!
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    <?php
    include("{$_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT']}/includes/my_include.php");
    ?>
    www.controlalternate.com - Web resources and free templates. www.chaosconcepts.net - Custom web and graphic design.

Member #
    What does that do exactly?

Member #
    You put your include in 1 folder and use this to call it no matter what directory your calling it from.. Change '/includes/my_include.php' to whatever directory your navigation is in..So if put it in your root directory just put the '/' in there.. If its in another, specify..

Member #
    Ok I fixed it. I tried the two ways stated above but I still got the same problem so what I did was make different versions of my navigation. So when was navigating from my root directory like in index.php I would have one set of navigation. Then when I was navigation from a new directory that was one level below my root I had a the php code link to navigation2.htm. I also did the same my third level of directies that is two below my root directory. I figured changed three versions of my navigation was better than 60 of them.

Remove Ads