Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    DEar Members:

I am relatively new to web page designing. I know html but nothing else. Below I will enter the details of kind of web page i want to make. Can you please help me out.I want to know what i will need to learn to implement my website in addition to html; plus any softwares that i will need to use.

"What I want to do is build a website from where people can download sports clips.
    The whole site is going to about 4 pages. With three different kind of sports clips.
    There are going to be two types of users. One who will pay for the site and hence would have unlimited access. The others would be totally free users and will be allowed to download 3 video clips per day.
    Now how we are going to do is this, I don't have any idea at all and that's why I am contacting you. How can we limit a user to 3 downloads per day.
    In addition, I don't want people to be able to post download url's of video clips on different discussion forums. Everybody who wants to download a video clip should be made to visit the website. What we can do is that we password protect each file; with the password available on the website but changed everyday.
    Plus people should be allowed to make their submissions to the website. I will appreciate a prompt reply.
    Please help me out because this web site is not for the purpose of making money, infact i intend to spend my own money. Please ignore my ignorance.
    regards
    hussain

Member #
    What you're asking for, is fairly complex and involves a lot of serverside scripting. It's way to extensive to be covered in a thread like this. Your site needs to handle money transactions, databases to keep track of customers, regular users, passwords, files, sessions, IP's etc. You want to have some sort of anti-leeching built in to the project as well.

If your primary objective is to get the site up and running, contact a webdesign company and let them give you an offer. (there's plenty of them here. You could reach a few through a post in in the 'request a service' forum.)

However, if your primary goal is to learn how to do this yourself, you have a lot of studying to do. You should single out a serverside language you'd like to learn, and start from there.
    After covering some basics, you should try to break the whole task down to smaller entities and focus on one at the time. If you get stuck somewhere in the process, then post here with a specific problem description.

Don't expect it to be up and running anytime soon.

Best of luck.
    S. Rosland

Member #
    I would personally try C# for that type of project.

Member #
    thankyou rosland

Quote Originally Posted by rosland
    What you're asking for, is fairly complex and involves a lot of serverside scripting. It's way to extensive to be covered in a thread like this. Your site needs to handle money transactions, databases to keep track of customers, regular users, passwords, files, sessions, IP's etc. You want to have some sort of anti-leeching built in to the project as well.

If your primary objective is to get the site up and running, contact a webdesign company and let them give you an offer. (there's plenty of them here. You could reach a few through a post in in the 'request a service' forum.)

However, if your primary goal is to learn how to do this yourself, you have a lot of studying to do. You should single out a serverside language you'd like to learn, and start from there.
    After covering some basics, you should try to break the whole task down to smaller entities and focus on one at the time. If you get stuck somewhere in the process, then post here with a specific problem description.

Don't expect it to be up and running anytime soon.

Best of luck.
    thankyou rosland for your help, .........let me break down the problem and you can give me the easiest possible soloutin.....
    1. How can we limit the free users to three downloads......Does any easy solution spring to your mind?....like requiring them to register and login..........and they can request a video and server would automatically send them user name and password to that file.....just like when we register to some discussion forums....the server sends us a username and password automatically......aren't there any third party software which can perform this task...........
    2. As for paid users we can use a third party to handle the money transaction and we can send them user name and password via mail and they can have access to a completely different set of directories......

Member #
    You wouldn't want the videos downloaded would you? Because then it would be all over the P2P networks in no time...
    I'd also go for C#. (which I am =))

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by echoSwe
    You wouldn't want the videos downloaded would you? Because then it would be all over the P2P networks in no time...
    I'd also go for C#. (which I am =))

I do not mind any p2p because i don't want any money.....i just don't want unlimited downloads as the band width would exceed in no time.......

Please can some body just tell me how to create a website where one has to login.....just like this site....where you register and the server sends you ...your username and password...and then you have to use it as to log into the site

Member #
    There are two easy ways or getting that. The first is to download a sample website and then configure that, the second is to download the Miscrosoft Visual WebDeveloper (Visual Studio) 2005 Beta1, which in itself has a fully functional site, which you can use to create a multi-user application.

However - you have to know a lot about web design in order to make the site "your own".

Hope you succeed.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    All this promotion of C# is fine, but it pre-supposes that you have .NET hosting (or a Linux host who has installed Mono.. not many of them as far as I know).

If you make the video download page log the IP address of the visitor who is downloading, then you could make that page re-direct them elsewhere if today's count is >3. Bit like a hit counter, but writing to a database (or file, if you don't have a database) with IP address... you could do that with a fairly simple php script, not any great need to over-engineer.

As to logging in, there are three options...
    a) Write something bespoke! Requires some knowledge of scripting etc.
    b) Get them to e-mail for username/passwords and set them up using the inbuilt security (in Linux hosting I'd use .htaccess/.htpasswd)
    c) Download some already written software to do it... one option here is a CMS (eg. http://www.mamboserver.com) or just a script (search http://www.hotscripts.com). In fact, might be worth looking at Hotscripts for the download manager type functionality -- may well be that somebody has already written something that does 80% of what you require!

Hope this gives you some ideas,

Sean

Member #
    Since you didn't tell me your correct IP when I tried to answer your mail !! DO SO PLEASE, if you send me private mails.

Well... That's even more than I've done. I'm not so sure it works for ur application I'm afraid.
    IP-blocking is usually used when a user or a domain of IPs are to be allowed or restricted.
    I've only seen it action on one web site. NE.se which is a very expensive swedish dictionary. Better to use cookies and a login. Login would be the most normal, with cookies to remember the password.

http://www.votations.com/netpolls/ is found after a little searching around. It's a VS .Net solution. It's the only thing I could find. It's quite advanced you know. If you use VB .Net or C# .net you could write something like:
    Request.SERVER_VARIABLES("USER_IP");
    or something like that. Then compare it to a list in your database. As I said - advanced. Stick to login and try the stuff I told you on the website. IB blocking is way out of our leauge, really. I maybe could do it... but I don't have time right now. Sorry. Good luck!

//Henke

Member #
    do u want a simple way to do it? bravenet offers password frotected stuff and you can limit people to only what you pick. you should try it out

Remove Ads