Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    I just inherited a site which was developed using frames. I'm going to get rid of frames .. so with 400 html files, would it be better to re-design the site using templates .. or server-side includes. I don't see the templated information being changed too often. Explanations welcome .. I'm not too familiar with SSI's

Thanks!
    Jayell

Member #
    hmm i have no idea

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Jayell, templates and SSI are not mutually exclusive; normally templates would use SSI. If you have that many pages I would definitely go for some sort of SSI functionality... you may want to look into using CSS div layers to position your various elements on the page, in order to make the page work in a similar way to the existing frames components. As for the SSI itself you can use various technologies to do it; php, or shtml or (if you're on Windows servers) asp.

Either that or download one of the various template based Content Management solutions... phpnuke, postnuke, Xoops, Mambo etc... they all allow template based designs with user CPanel etc... really depends what sort of site you are after... if you want this sort of functionality installing an existing piece of software might be the answer. The only slight drawback is that you tend to get tied into a fairly standard "look and feel" (unless you're a real whizz at template design and can turn it on its head) which you may not want... guess it depends on the site!

Sean

Member #
    There is nothing worng with frames, if it fits they application/use

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by seanmiller
    Jayell, templates and SSI are not mutually exclusive; normally templates would use SSI. If you have that many pages I would definitely go for some sort of SSI functionality...
    Sean
    Sorry, Sean, somehow I didn't realized you'd responded .. days ago
    I tried using SSIs in Dreamweaver and it seemed very awkward (my page didn't show properly in 'design view') .. but it really seems like a much better idea than templates alone. Perhaps if I experiment with it a little more.

Thanks for your input .. I'm pretty low on the skill curve :ermm:
    Jayell

Member #
    SSIs wont appear right in the design view unless you have a testing server set up, and even then it's a pain. Thre reason for this is because the SERVER actually does the including, so your computer has no idea how to interpret the include commands(usually).
    -----------------------------------------------
    I know just enough to be dangerous to myself and others around me... I'm more of a CSS kamikaze than a CSS ninja...

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Holokai
    SSIs wont appear right in the design view unless you have a testing server set up, and even then it's a pain. Thre reason for this is because the SERVER actually does the including, so your computer has no idea how to interpret the include commands(usually).
    I was afraid that was the case .. but thanks for explaining the details. That'll probably be enough to keep me from using them for this project.

Jayell

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    You should be able to view shtml include files offline in Dreamweaver. Granted, this will not be the case with php, but standard SSI should be fine... have a go and see how far you get.

Sean

Member #
    Will give it another go. I really would like to find a better solution than pure templates, and I need to start this project pretty quickly.

Jayell

Member #
    I finally got my SSIs to work properly in Dreamweaver!! Yea me :classic:

Another consideration I have. Let's assume I design this (200-400 page)site .. then pass it along to someone who does NOT use Dreamweaver. Should I then be attempting to design the site entirely in SSIs, NOT using any Dreamweaver templates? (assume for a moment my only options are SSIs and DW templates).. meaning if I use DW templates, does that not mean they would have considerably redesigning to do to make it work for them?

This is a volunteer organization, so we don't have lots of experienced Web designers, so this is a serious consideration before I get started.

Jayell

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads