Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I understand that alt tags do not show tooltips when using Mozilla & Firefox. And that the title tag DOES work with those two, plus IE. If I'm using title tags, is it bad design to drop the alt tags .. or does that cause other issues? Do I need both?

Thanks
    Jayell

Member #
    YOu should always use alt tags for images. Screen readers need them. I use titles for things such as background images (css) and sometimes DIVS. I dont think I have usedthem on images before.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Yes, always specify the alt attribute for images. Even if the image does not contribute to the content, still specify it (alt="").

Also, do not rely on tooltips for functionalty for both accessibility and browser compatibility.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    I did some investigating into this a while back. The intended uses are as follows:

alt :: alternative text for an image, should be used for every meaningful image, use empty (alt="") tags on presentational images. Use a meaningful description.

title :: should display as tooltip, for example to indicate what happens if you click the image.

The first problem:
    IE displays alt tags as tooltips. Basically because IE is silly, the important thing to remember is you should still use the tags although tooltips look bad sometimes, alt text is important.

The second:
    DanOliver said screenreaders read alt text. Well that's what it makes sense for them to do, but in the real world they dont necessarily. A good screen reader will read the alt text and ignore the title text. However in the screenreader specification it basically says "reading alt or title text is up to the designer", so it's quite possible that a screenreader would read title text too.

So for example: img src="whatever.gif" alt="a picture of the grand canyon" title="a picture of the grand canyon"

COULD read: a picture of the grand canyon a picture of the grand canyon.

For this reason I use alt tags on every image, and I never use title tags at all.

Remove Ads