Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hi everyone
    You guys can tell me if this is a good idea or not. I have recently started an unsuccessful website design business, Its been really hard getting customers to stay. Most say they are interested, but then seem to disappear off the face of the earth. The fact that Im young, and have no proffesional qualifications is also part of the reason. Ive also noticed that there are people around my age 16/17 who can design websites/code php and are very talented at doing so, but wont be able to get a job or be taken seriously because they have no proffesional qualifications. I was thinking that maybe these people could pool all their resources together, ie bring flash developers, coders and graphics designers together to form a new international website development company, made up of young people. I dont think inexperience is a big disadvantage when your working in a rapidly changing environment like the internet. So what do you guys think? Would you want to be part of it?

Member #
    I tried the same thing and had the same problem. I'm now at University doing a degree in Internet Computing.

I have been part of a similar thing before, it is a good idea - but will only work if everyone in your team is willing to do their fair share of work.

Member #
    I agree, everyone would have to be pretty motivated and get along with each other, which is pretty hard if you are complete strangers. What was the thing you were part of before? and what went wrong or Is it still working out?

Member #
    it fell apart when everyone had to go on-leave for exams.

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    LMAO, that'll happen Working on a site ATM and myself and another are in school full time in addition to work, so updates are sporadic at best. My solution to this is to change the way we update the site. Should work very well once our coder is done with the chunk of update specs I gave him.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    If you could bring in the customers then I have no problem in helping you get some of the work done.

Member #
    jeanlouis14 i would like to look at an online portfolio if you have one?

Member #
    Wouldn't it be messy with the taxation of this buisness, since it's international?

Member #
    Hi, I'm young, and I just recently got a taste of actual work in the industry. This is going to be a long reply, but I hope it's insightful. Getting started in design is very difficult because there are many people who say they can do it, and quite honestly, many of them are very bad at it. Clients want a designer with a track record and pleasing PORTFOLIO (read between the lines = experience). But, there's a reason for this.

Quote Originally Posted by mumblegrumble
    Most say they are interested, but then seem to disappear off the face of the earth. The fact that Im young, and have no proffesional qualifications is also part of the reason. Ive also noticed that there are people around my age 16/17 who can design websites/code php and are very talented at doing so, but wont be able to get a job or be taken seriously because they have no proffesional qualifications.
    People will say they are interested so they do not hurt your feelings. That's just how it is. A lot of people do not TRUST you until you have a solid portfolio of things they like. Regardless of what you can do, you have to SHOW people what you've done.

Also, a portfolio should demonstate different styles and approaches to design and problem solving. Having a variety of clients proves you are able to work with different people and their varying needs. Professionalism is more than just design, it's how you personally interact with people. Sometimes, young people (and I know I was like this!) get very defensive. You have to be able to talk to people who don't know any thing about what you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by mumblegrumble
    I was thinking that maybe these people could pool all their resources together, ie bring flash developers, coders and graphics designers together to form a new international website development company, made up of young people. I dont think inexperience is a big disadvantage when your working in a rapidly changing environment like the internet. So what do you guys think? Would you want to be part of it?
    To be blunt, there are a lot of very reputable and capable designers in every place in this world that needs designers. I'm not saying this is a bad idea. I think you have to take an angle to make your company different.

What I really want to say is you can have talent and you can have a good eye and you can program and code and design and not have employment. Start by doing stuff for your friends, a local band, your neighbor's law firm, the restaurant on the corner. Keep a record of everthing you do. Compile it online, keep working and building your portfolio.

I will leave you with wise words from my own design teachers, "Shut up and let your portfolio do the talking."
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    ill help if i can im 15and i know photoshop, html .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads