Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello, all! Thank you for viewing my post.

I've been designing web pages for a little over 2 years now, mainly developing websites (between 3 to 5 pages) for family/friends and creating auction templates for eBay powersellers using HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. I use PhotoShop and ImageReady to create graphics.

About a month ago, I began targeting my web design/development services to small businesses and private organizations, and yesterday, I received a phone call from my first potential client that wants me to develop a 15 to 20 page website for an online vacation company. The problem is that I've never developed a 15 to 20 page website in my life, but I know that devoting alot of my time and work, I can do it. We (my client and I) have not yet discussed any details about the upcoming project. This will all be discussed tomorrow. The short-term project will begin on Monday, 11/15/04.

These are my questions:

Does anyone know where I can find a good sample web site design contract?
    What should my client and I discuss before I start working on the project?
    Would it be better for me to charge an hourly rate or a flat rate fee? If an hourly rate, how much should I charge?
    How much should I charge for web site maintence. hosting & SEO (novice in these areas)?

This phone call caught me a little offguard because I did not expect to receive project like this so soon, but I'm sure that I can get the job done.

I have more questions, but I believe I'll easily find the answers to them throughout my work on this project. I pick up on things very quickly.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and advice.

~*"As a woman thinketh, so is she."*~ designdiva

Member #
    You cannot decide on price before you know what they want, so you have to do a little bit of investigation free of charge. A good place to start is to meet for lunch with the client, find out a bit more about what they want from you.

Once you know what they want, think about the time it'd take to build, the hourly rate you'd expect to earn in another job. But give an all inclusive (no hidden charges) figure. Maybe around $200-$300 plus extras. Remember the price can be negoiciated, start high

http://www.net-sites.com/contract.htm

I wouldnt charge much extra for SEO, i'd just do it.
    Hosting/Maintenance charges would depend on bandwidth / frequency of update requirements. Have a look around at hosting companies
    I'd offer a first year discount on hosting.

Good luck!

Member #
    "What should my client and I discuss before I start working on the project?"

I would ask the client what they expect with the website, what the pages are, some ideas they have, targeted audience, price range, expected due date, do they supply the images or you? Bascially anything that would help you make the website to their needs.

Also, I think it would be better for you to charge a flat rate. This way clients feel more secure and know exactly how much they can budget for the project.

For website SEO I would just add it in as I make the site, but I do know others who charge $50-$100 extra. With maintenance, I just charge $50/hour. Usually maintenance are just short updates.

If it is a 15-20 page website I would charge about $1000. If you have to create their logo, then I would charge a little more for that.

Hope this helps out a little.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    If you're on a learning curve I would say it would be unethical to charge per hour, as it is bound to take you more hours to design this site than somebody who's "done it all before"... and the client should not be made to pay for training you.

I would think long and hard about taking on this contract, unless you're totally sure you can do it. There would be nothing worse for your self esteem *and* your reputation than to muck it up and end up with the client badmouthing you to all and sundry. Negative comments tend to always be taken more seriously by future customers than positive ones.

Just a thought!

Sean

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    You should also question the client about changes and updating of
    their site. If you know how to script in PHP or Perl, or can
    sub-contract someone to do some scripting, your client can change
    images, text, etc. all by themselves using their web site with a
    log-on password. I would guess your client would want to be able
    to maintain the content of their site all by themselves.

--max--

Remove Ads