Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I have two questions.

First, I have a floated column to the right of the text that holds images, that when clicked, pop up a larger version. I've noticed that alot of sites say 'click image for larger version' or something similair underneath each picture. Do I need to do this? Will the user automaticly hover over it to see if it is a link?

Secondly, it seems like alot of sites chop up articles into multiple pages, and when you're reading you click 'next' or 'continue' to take you to the next page. Is this supposed to break down the article into individual comprehensive thoughts like lists do? Should I break my articles up into smaller pages?

Thanks alot for your help :classic:
    Jason

Member #
    Who's your audience?

Kefka,
    I think to answer your questions, you should consider your audience.

People who use the internet regularly do not need to be told to click for a larger image, we all do it and we all look for it. Less experienced users still need the clue.

How long are your articles? Breaking them down into multiple pages can help reduce the scroll bar and make navigation easier. If your articles are really short, you needn't bother. Online newspapers generally have a summary page in one place and <more> somewhere else. If they're exceptionally long, I'd suggest converting them into .pdf. That way the user can read them on the screen, external of the actual site, or print them up so as to not stare at a screen so long. I'm not really a fan of "click next to continue."

Hope that helps.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Remove Ads