Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    What makes a good design? What kinds of things do you like in layouts, graphics, logos, commercials, taglines, anything?

Opinions only, of course.

Where is this coming from?!

I was reading a thread somewhere today where somebody mentioned Quizno's. For those of you who aren't familiar with Quizno's, it's a sandwhich place in the US and Canada, their commercials are like, "Mmm toasty." But here's what I like about Quizno's, as a designer: They really utilize the Q! On their website, they use its shape as a quotation bubble. If you eat-in at one of the stores, the plate is shaped as the same Q. What else could you want from a logo!

I'm just curious what other people like? What's effective?
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    another example

I like smart.

Have you seen the new line of Miller Lite Ads? Where the referees go around and replace Bud Light with Miller lite, calling fouls like "Intentional taste mask" and "Illegal use of the handtruck."

Love them.

Have you seen the new Bud Light Ads in response?

Love them more. They're smarter.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    What I like, is something that gets the message across easily & simple. To me, that is effective design. Sure, these flashy sites are nice, but sometimes they are just too complicated.

Just look at some of the major players in the computing world:

www.microsoft.com - the biggest computing company in the world. Do you a complete flash site? No. It's simple, easy to navigate and information is easy to find.

www.packardbell.com - a large computer manufacturer, perhaps a bit more flashy, but white space is used effectively and it's still simple.

www.amazon.co.uk or www.amazon.com - a large online stockist, again, simple site (apparently cost them 5M to design, which when you consider their stock, is almost realistic), and what needs to be displayed, is.

www.ebay.co.uk - the most successful online auction site in the world. Flash? Hardly any used. Simple, and delivers information.

It is the same for all the sites mentioned above. They are all light, simple, easy to navigate web designs.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that flashy sites can't be successful, but all the big people in computing are looking for effective information delivery.

My opinion, dunno whether anyone else agrees. But to me, that's what "effective design" means. Any one elses opinions?
    Rednerve
    Creative Freelance Design

Member #
    I agree completely with the above post. I am studying design right now in college, specificly new media, and the one thing all my teachers say is keep your designs simple. Of course I tend to forget this and go all but that's besides the point. I notice that when I keep things simple my designs are a lot better but if I try all at once to do this huge complicated thing it gets out of control.

Remove Ads