Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello my fellow web design buddies!

I was wanting some suggestions/opinions/comments for the following web layout. Me and a few friends are having a contest to see who can make the best web layout. I wanted to go ahead and get it critiqued before I went any farther into it. I know, some of the writing and words don't make since. I also just put web.com just for a sample text, this is not going to be a website and I had no means of copying the already domain name web.com. It's just an example URL. Thanks friends for the replies!!

--Kevin
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --Kevin
    15" MacBook Pro With: Mac OSX 10.4.11(Tiger) 1440x900 Windows XP SP2 3GB RAM 1TB HDD
    kevind_2007--"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way."--Babe Ruth

Links:Firefox Download||Google|| HTML Help||DHTML|| Web Design Terminology||Good-Tutorials

Member #
    It's not too bad .. I just think you used too much grey. Try incorporating more blue. I am not a huge fan of the nav. bar or register for mail boxes. Either they need to be bigger or different.

The side bg horizontal lines are not my favorite, you might want to try a diagonal line bg. Thats just my personal taste though.

Anyways, if you add more blue and change the lines direction, I think it would look good.

Member #
    I do not really like the side bars either, but my style would be to get rid of them.

The text of your web.com graphic is very light-hearted, it seems inappropriate.

There is no need to indent your paragraphs, again a personal preference.

It always seems odd to me when designers label their navigation. But, whether you keep the label or not, I think you should add a space between the > and the text. Plus, there are two nav bars, but they're not the same. But they are kind of the same. W?W?W

Regarding the colors, I think it would be nice to have another color for highlights (like the background to your nav or for rollovers), but I do not think it's necessary. However, I would use a lighter color for the main body so the text is easier to read.

In fact, I am not sure if it's the text itself (font and size) or because it's saved as a jpeg, but it's difficult to read.

I'm also iffy on the dotted lines for separating content. For sure they are not consistent, but I wonder if they are even necessary.

Okay, now that I have made a commment to every part of your layout...
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    It's not gonna be sliced or anything.. The text is just an example for what would go there even if it were sliced...
    --Kevin
    15" MacBook Pro With: Mac OSX 10.4.11(Tiger) 1440x900 Windows XP SP2 3GB RAM 1TB HDD

Links:Firefox Download||Google|| HTML Help||DHTML|| Web Design Terminology||Good-Tutorials

Member #
    Tristessa, where do you think I need to incorporate more blue into place? If you could reply ASAP, this would really help me out. I need some help on this one because I have no ideas on where some blue of the same color as I already have would look good at. I thought a pro would know what to do . Thanks a bunch!
    --Kevin

Member #
    hmm

you could have a title or header to be blue ... or the nav bar.
    if you change the links and take them out of that nav box then you could make those blue. My friend used a nice looking link layout at http://www.jasonhallett.com .. I have seen it used before, but I think it looks really nice You can also notice his use of red on his site as a highlight. This is the type of idea I thought would be nice for your site.

Member #
    To be honest, it really isn't my thing this sort of site. It looks like more of a gamer site then anything else. You need more colour in there somewhere. You do not need two menus both saying the same thing on the homepage. Lose on of them and work on the other.
    The "come with us for web help" doesn't look to good. You have made certain words bold, certain words slanted certain words regular. It just looks random and too plain.

Sorry if it sounds like I am really having dig here, I am not. It just isn't my kind of thing.
    But I think it could be a good start, you just need to work on it and try to improve it as much as you feel you can.

Member #
    Well thank you guys for the replies. This isn't ever going to be a real site, just a graphic...I just thought I would make somethin sorda simple..Im working on a new site layout for my site as of now, so you should see it uploaded on here and me asking for your replies in the near future...Thanks again for the comments and suggestions!
    --Kevin

Member #
    Note: colour = color (I'm from Australia )

I was about to post my reply, but though i better check what others said, and noticed they practialy covered all my thoughts!...

<Helpful Criticism>
    1. I really don't like the excessive greys! Needs a little more contrast, if you like your grey thats fine, however i suguest a larger pallet... say make the backround darker, the main content lighter, and the header bout the same....
    2. It would probably be better to have your "web.com" in the head of the page, and your slogen "Come to us for web help!" underneath it in smaller text ATM Its a little to big! I'm sure they'll still read it, and have greater effect if it's smaller. This should also leave more room for your content now that the "web.com" isn't creating unnessesary "white space" beneath it for the rest of the page!
    3. I agree with DanielOliver about the menus! Id suguest, removing the top one, and sticking with the side navigation!
    4. The vertical dotted lines! The navigation and mailing list boxes allready illustrate the left coloumn, it could look better and simpler without them
    </Helpful Criticism>

For your next layout, can i suguest that you pick a colour scheme before you start! For example, personaly i like blue (evident in most of my work) for example i'll make a basic pallet with a master colour, and others before i start. This way, I know if the colours will work well together, no more designs looking like an angry fruit salad!

I'll usually have a master colour,
    a background color,
    a content background colour,
    and then a range colours based on those...
    sometimes followed by a highlight colour, (or rather feature colour) ie. a colour that stands out!

To help you undrstand what im blabbing on about, i took 15 mins to make you an example pallet, similar to one i used for a site a while back. (Check Attachment )

Just remember, nothing is final untill you or possibly a client are satisfied. ie, you can change the colours anytime

One last tip: I find that it's also good to sketch a rough design onto paper, to get a better understanding of where stuff is 'supposed' to go! Knowing where your layout is going before you start, can save you wasting endless hours designing. Also making a basic pallet can save alot of time too!

Im a perfectionist, this helps me eliminate too many personal dissagreements!

Let me know if i helped any!
    Best regards,
    Nick
    Attached Images Attached Images

Remove Ads