Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: I'm stuck

Member #
    I'm wanting to re-design my halloween/horror site with 'some' Flash elements, but I'm having trouble doing this. For one, I'm learning Flash the hard way (no books or training), and because of this I don't know where to put the text I want on the main page.... with the Flash movie (if it's even possible). I've re-designed and re-designed the movie over and over and end up hating it when it's all said and done. I need some help, and maybe a helmet!

Right now the text is sitting in a table below the movie (I know, I know), but I put it there so you could see what text I need to place----somewhere. My site is about the design, etc., but it's definitely about the writing, so the text is important. Visual is only second to the writing. It would be nice if the text was in the main part of the movie and scrollable/readable.

Problems I'm aware of but don't know how to fix:

1. The links created in Flash are way too light and barely readable.
    2. The text under the movie is hideous, of course.
    3. The symbol for the image links change globally when I try to assign a mouseover event (get url), so all the invisible images that are actually buttons have the same url.

The old/current site (be gentle!): www.thecorridors.com (index page) www.thecorridor.com/corridormain.html (main page with text)
    Working on the new: (be gentle!): www.thecorridors.com/corridormain_flash.html

My other site's movie came out okay, but I didn't have the text problem I do with the one above. The other site is: www.autumnwhisperstome.com

Sorry to place the links like that, but when I used the link button on this form it kept crashing the window. Darn IE anyway.

Member #
    Absolutely beautiful work! I don't see much of anything wrong with any of what you've posted. Only thing that stuck out for me was on autumnwhisperstome.com where the text scrolled up and down while the movie stayed fixed - was just kinda a bad user experience personally speaking.

Flash is an AWESOME tool but it should be used sparingly if you're interested in any sort of Search Engine Optimization. So if this stuff is just personal stuff that you don't really want other people to find in a search engine, then it's cool. Otherwise might want to trim it down. Search engines need to read the text on the page, and they can't do it when it's inside a Flash movie.

Cool stuff!

Member #
    Thanks, TimeBandit. Actually, I got the idea about the fixed background from people over time from discussions on non-web design boards. I began to notice a 'trend' with the way people talked about web sites. Everyone was talking about backgrounds that stayed in place when you scrolled. I'd seen them a few times before but I wasn't sure how it was done. When I tried the fixed backgrounds and told everyone to tell me what they thought---they were unanimous. So I kept it. lol For some reason, too, it bugs me when I got to a web site with stories or poetry and the background rolls along with the text--drives me nuts---so I guess it's a personal thing, too.

So Flash keeps the rankings down on search engines? Wow, that's too bad. Some of the most incredible sites I've ever seen were Flash. Heck, I used to go to www.estudio.com 'just' to see the graphics and hear the music (I want to be those guys when I grow up! lol). And that one site that got shut down by the FBI a long time ago, the one they talked about on the news, www.drinkordie.com , that site was awesome. I ran across it by accident once looking for javascripts. Aparently those guys were giving away free software or music or something because they got into big trouble. But I used to go there just to play with their site. I know. I'm odd.

Remove Ads