Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need advise.

Member #
    Hi, am a newbie. am trying to design a website with DW. the website should have the logo on the top of the page, the menus on the left handside and some graphics on the right handside. I'd like to keep the logo the only still area of the site (therefore no realoading should be involved when operating the menus) and the other two areas should load different menus and graphics. Is this a case of framesheets? Could you please help me to find a relevant tutorial? any suggestion would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance. Davide

Member #
    When do you want to load the different menus and graphics? You can use frames for including other html files in your page, although some people hate frames. Or you can use a server side solution, like asp/php/cfm/jsp.

Sorry I dont really understand your query

Member #
    If the image is loaded once it will not be reloaded again in the following pages as it will already be in the browser's cache. So there really is no need to try and do what you are doing (if I understand what that is) unless you are working with a site with many, many pages (which of course you might be).

But as bfsog mentioned you can do this with frames or a server-side language, the latter being the better choice.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bfsog
    When do you want to load the different menus and graphics? You can use frames for including other html files in your page, although some people hate frames. Or you can use a server side solution, like asp/php/cfm/jsp.

Sorry I dont really understand your query
    thanks for replying. well, at the top of my html page there's the company logo; on the left hand side the main menu, on the right hand side a flash animation; the footer is the company address. when you operate the main menu this should load and replace the main menu with a different menu (sub menu) and the flash animation with graphics relevant to the sub menu. I'd like to simplify the site and keep the top (logo) always there avoiding to load it every time I click the menu. Basically one html page. Is it possible?

Member #
    Don't use frames, don't use frames, and don't use frames. BTW, you should not use frames.

Okay. As Eddy Bones mentioned, a header graphic like the one you are describing will remain in the user's computer's cache so even if it must reload on each page, it will not take a lot of time. So, don't use frames.

And, if I may advise... From a usability standpoint, it would probably be better to ADD a sub-nav (or reorganize the main and sub navs) instead of removing the main nav. Reasoning: if the main navigation is replaced by the sub-nav, how is the user supposed to get back?

And back to your original question, when you first get to WDF, there's site wide announcements and right below it are tutorials. That would be a good place to look. Or google it.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    Personally i have found frames very helpful to target the link to open in a specific frame in Dream Weave Mx all you have to do is select it and select the target drop down list in the properties menu. An example is
    www.lovelandtenderyears.com (i hate the color scheme but clients get what they want) I have them set to load new pages in the "Main_Frame". As for menu's depending on your expirence level I would try and stay away from java script navigation menu's unless you do use frames they can be a pain to edit.(With frames you only have to edit one html page . )
    When life gets you down grab some M&M's.
    http://www.lebanonequestrians.org

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Frames are the biggest mistake you can make in web designing (besides of course iframes). The only good use I've seen of frames is Kaliber10000.

The best way is to use CSS. The best place for a tutorial on Standards-Compliant web programming is W3Schools.
    Brian : This must be the physics department.
    Chris : That explains all the gravity.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeakypants
    Frames are the biggest mistake you can make in web designing (besides of course iframes). The only good use I've seen of frames is Kaliber10000.

The best way is to use CSS. The best place for a tutorial on Standards-Compliant web programming is W3Schools.

Frames are often more efficant and will save work, time, and will make changing insite links much easier.
    I can not stress how much time Frames have saved me in the past if you do them right its not even an issue.

I do concur with you on the iframes though.

Would some one else kindly interject an opinon?

Member #
    Frames are NOT efficient. Search engines have trouble picking them up and they mostly look ugly and they are major old school now. They were in...in 1995!
    Rednerve
    Creative Freelance Design

Member #
    unless you use frames sets correctly just like any other html page
    they are efficant coding wise

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads