Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Careers

Member #
    I'm currently a junior in high school and have been doing some research on the career of various web careers out there. Specifically I've been looking at the Arts Institute for post-secondary education. However, I've been a bit weary on the numbers. The amount of money you make out of there doesn't seem to be a lot. However, perhaps I'm just not seeing it as a starting wage and seeing where the career can take you.

Now don't get me wrong. I believe in doing what you love. I really am into web design, and although it's something that challenges me to a great extent, it's something that I really want to go into. Now maybe not web design in particular, but some form of web media. However, I'm just curious what's out there.

What other colleges offer good programs to go into that will broaden my career options? Right now I'm feeling boxed into one decision, and that's the Arts Institute. There are other schools out there, but most just offer associates degrees, and my family expects me to get a bachelors degree, and that's what I'd like to get as well.

I'd appreciate any kind of advice you guys could give that could help. Maybe share some of your past educations, or the success possibilities out there? I'm not in it to make a lot of money. However, being able to support myself, and not worrying about making ends meet would be what I'm out for.

Thanks

Chris
    Columbus, OH

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Any jobs involving the internet cannot be compared to regular industry jobs. Currently I am a student at Cal Poly studying Civil Engineering, yet I am a Web Producer here at Web Associates (Check client list). I have absolutely zero formal training in any web medium. But we've interveiwed dozens of people with degrees in Graphic Communication and Computer Science for the same position as mine, and none have been hired. It's because their portfolios weren't up to par.

The only thing I can conclude is that getting a formal training in web design is completely useless. Design trends change daily, and coding practices change faster than that. In the 4 years it takes you to get a degree, everything you'll have learned is useless. You're better off just doing - get an internship or something. The web is about experience, not education. When I was being interviewed, my boss looked at me and asked (coming from a background of a BA in graphic communication) "Why do you think that you will be able to keep up with us here when you don't have any degree related to web design?" My answer was simply "Look at my portfolio. All the education in the world can't proove what I can do, but my portfolio does. Web design isn't about education. It's about results." Seeing as how I got the job... I seemed to have chosen the right answer.

As for degrees that are useful... how about an Art degree? Design and illustration are great things to learn, as well as how to use programs like Flash, Illustrator, Photoshop, etc. But what I'd really recommend is a degree in business. It'll help you in nearly every profession you chose, and especially if you choose to start your own company or work freelance.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Insightful

Your post was just as the subject on my reply suggests. It was very insightful. I exchanged e-mails with Shane from Pixelranger, and he too has a similar background as you. He majored in nothing relative to his career now, but now is doing something completely different.

However, I do need to goto college and get that bachelors degree. You suggested going in for business. However, I still want to get that training in the various programs out there used for web design. That's my largest weakness as a designer. I can learn to use a program, but not really learn to use it. I can perform basic operations with most of the software, but I never feel like I'm getting the full potential out of it.

So I guess my follow-up question would be: If I follow your suggestion and go to college for business, what measures can I take to get some form of formal education in the web field? You had mentioned that coding practices, design methods, etc. would be out of date by the time I'm finished. I have no trouble believing that. The simple proof behind that is to look at where the internet was in 2000-2001, versus where it is now, heading into 2005.

So perhaps going to a design school wouldn't be the best idea. However, where would be some good places to get an education that holds a good balance between the two? I threw Computer Science out the window awhile ago, seeing as how it applies more to computer technology and technical aspects of computers, rather than media production. And then Graphics Communication is just too narrow for me. I want to do more than work with graphics. I want to produce more than just that.

I know I'm sounding really uneducated in these posts. I won't hide behind any fake knowledge. I really have none at this point. I'm progressing through my junior year of high school, staying on honor roll, preparing SATs and ACTs, and doing several other things to prepare for college. However, I still can't decide what I want to do there. And I'm crazy if I go in go down the "Undecided" route.

Remove Ads