Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey there. I have been messing with html and css for quite some time, using some free javascripts from time to time. My site is focused around my guitar stuff and I was incitied to try other forms of languages. Although my site doesn't support PHP and MySQL right now, I might move it to a server that I'd like, but it does support CGI scripting and also Perl. I don't know anything about the two (CGI and Perl) and would like to know more, and actually would like to know about a dib of all the languages, but I am a little confused on how to see what each language can offer me.

For example, I know that HTML and CSS are used to create the actual look of the site and how things are laid out.

Javscript I know can be used for calendars, but don't know of much other uses.

PHP and MySQL I know make great forums and guestbooks along with user-specified information.

I want to use other languages that might be able to be applied to my site. I am going to host some music streaming and download there as well, but I'm so confused with languages because no one has really be able to lay it down for something that can be used in sites everywhere other than the books' examples of "hello world" and other basics that will get you there.

I don't know much about XML and XHTML along with DHTML, if anyone would mind explaining to me. Also, what is the ASP.NET and stuff like that?

Thanks for taking the time reading.

Member #
    Hey.

DHTML stands for dynamic hypertext markup language. This is just some html/css/javascript mixed in to do fancy stuff basiclly.

XHTML stands for extensible hypertext markup language, which is replacing html.

JavaScript is a client side scripting language (code executes on users machine). JavaScript is great for alerting the user, validating forms, navigation, not quite endless but there is alot of uses.

PHP is server side (executes on server). PHP is great for sending mail, adding/editing/deleting/reading from databases.

For way more in-depth stuff go http://w3schools.com

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bfsog
    Hey.

DHTML stands for dynamic hypertext markup language. This is just some html/css/javascript mixed in to do fancy stuff basiclly.

XHTML stands for extensible hypertext markup language, which is replacing html.

JavaScript is a client side scripting language (code executes on users machine). JavaScript is great for alerting the user, validating forms, navigation, not quite endless but there is alot of uses.

PHP is server side (executes on server). PHP is great for sending mail, adding/editing/deleting/reading from databases.

For way more in-depth stuff go http://w3schools.com
    Thanks for the link!

Had I known I probably wouldn't have had to post. Grazie!

Remove Ads