Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi,

One of my clients decided to design the layout for her site herself in Adobe InDesign. I have a bunch of InDesign files now, but I can't figure out how to turn them in to a site. Could anyone please instruct me on how to convert from InDesign to a website?

Thanks,

Simkin

Member #
    well, i guess this won't be as easy as "just convert it to a website".

I don't know Indesign, but i'm pretty sure there's an option for exporting layouts as images.

Once exported, you can slice up these images in photoshop and build your navigation based on these using tables in your favourite HTML Editor (e.g. Dreamweaver, goLive, etc.) or code it manually.

Good luck!

Member #
    InDesign is layout software for PRINT. As far as I know, you cannot export images, because InDesign doesn't even really use images. It creates links to images.

Not saying this is the most effective way, but if I was in your situation, here's what I would do...

Save as a .pdf (file>PDF styles...), open in Photoshop or ImageReady, and slice. Biggest problem... you won't have any layers.

Depending on the files themselves, though, you may be able to turn off some of the boxes so that when you export the PDF, you are essentially exporting layers.

AND... I assume the files your client has provided are packaged, so you should have all the source images inside one of the folders.

Hope this helps.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Remove Ads