Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Animated GIF

Member #
    Hello out there,
    I am just getting started and am working on my first website. I want to put a fluttering flag icon on my page. I have seen them else where but I can't figure it out. I am using Dreamweaver MX. Do I have to do it with Flash. I was sure there was a real simple way but I am lost. It is only going to be a small flag that has 3 stages to the flutter.
    Thanks

Member #
    As your thread title implies, you know that an animated GIF is what you're after.
    You can create animated GIF's in different programs. The most common is ImageReady that comes bundled with Photoshop (the program of choice for most designers).

You basically create your drawings on separate layers. The difference between each layer will mimic the effect of motion. You save the file as a .psd file, and can then select 'optimize as'. You will be given the option of saving it as a GIF.

I created the attachment in 10 seconds to illustrate. It's a bouncing ball (obviously not following the laws of physics, but to illustrate the point.) This is made with 5 frames. The first frame is just a circle with a simple bevel & emboss effect. The next four frames are basically clones of the first one, but on each new layer you move the ball to a new position. In between each of these frames, you select motion tween from the menu (which will add as many frames as you define, to fill in frames between your two static ones and make the motion more fluid.).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    S. Rosland

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Or, you can search the internet for animated .gif images and find several pre-made flags. Many free .gifs to use (no copyrights).

Take your pick ... hundreds available for free:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...ted+.gif+flags

But ...
    I would question whether or not you really want to use animated .gifs on your webpage. This sort of thing is getting "passe" and usually ends up looking very amateurish. Ad banners happen to be the only thing left nowadays that use animated .gifs. Most other people are moving over to flash, but I question that also for most sites.

Find some .gif animation software you can try for free (for 30 days, or whatever). Learn how to do it, have fun with it. If you decide you really like it, buy it. I'm guessing you'll read what others say about animated .gifs (flags, cartoons, "cute" stuff, "dancing babies", etc.) and decide to forget about it.

--max--

Member #
    Well that was fun

Thank you...I had fun. Ended up with a paintbrush but learned what I needed.

Quote Originally Posted by rosland
    As your thread title implies, you know that an animated GIF is what you're after.
    You can create animated GIF's in different programs. The most common is ImageReady that comes bundled with Photoshop (the program of choice for most designers).

You basically create your drawings on separate layers. The difference between each layer will mimic the effect of motion. You save the file as a .psd file, and can then select 'optimize as'. You will be given the option of saving it as a GIF.

I created the attachment in 10 seconds to illustrate. It's a bouncing ball (obviously not following the laws of physics, but to illustrate the point.) This is made with 5 frames. The first frame is just a circle with a simple bevel & emboss effect. The next four frames are basically clones of the first one, but on each new layer you move the ball to a new position. In between each of these frames, you select motion tween from the menu (which will add as many frames as you define, to fill in frames between your two static ones and make the motion more fluid.).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Nice animations guys. I used to create animated .gif banners when i ran a banner company www.banners2go.com. I think the most advanced animation i was ever required to do was blinking text lol.
    TALKFREELANCE.COM

Over 1,700 members and growing!

Member #
    You can make animated gifs and animated vector images in Fireworks as well
    When life gets you down grab some M&M's.
    http://www.lebanonequestrians.org

Remove Ads