Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi all, hope you can help.

I have a folder on my webserver containing HTML files which is password protected via an .htaccess file. The index file in this folder is linked to from a page outside of the directory (a 'login' link if you will - Obviously when you click on this link it brings up the username and password box).

What I'd like to do is make this process more user friendly by avoiding showing the login box to the users (because they shouldn't in this case be concerned with the username - they will just have a password). What I'd like to do is imbed a login into the page if possible.

I am aware of a solution which almost works. Please see the below Javascript which could be used as I can set the username box to a hidden filed.
    http://javascript.internet.com/navig...ess-login.html

The above code is let down by the fact that entering incorrect login details would show a blank page, un-user-friendly page and of course the password is displayed in the URL, a security risk (although, if necessary, something I could live with).

If anyone is aware of a better solution out there now is your time to impress me. Hope you can be of some assistance!

Thanks in advance. Mark

Member #
    I didn't bother to find a solution in the end however if anyone was interested in the possible solution the idea was as follows...

Create an HTML page which submits to CGI script. This script checks if the password is valid - if it is then it submits to the .htaccess protected folder, if it isn't then it directs to a "wrong password" page thus elimiating the usability issues outlined in the original post.

Remove Ads