Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    First off as i'm new - "hi"

I was just wondering if somebody could please tell me what it means when ur HTML code turns yellow. I've just started learning HTML (started yesterday to be exact :alien: ), with a hope of progressing to other areas soon.

Also i'm using dreamweaver and would really appreciate any tips or links to tutorials.

Many thanks in advance

Alex

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    html code turning yellow... i'm assuming that's a dreamweaver thing.

big tip: if your starting to learn html and using dreamweaver, get into code view... not design view.

there's a ton of html tutorials on the internet.

but don't forget the mother of all - www.w3.org -
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I've never seen my code turn yellow before... what version of DW are you using?
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Yeah its a DM thing (DM MX 2004). Yeah I've been using the code view, though slow i did feel it was wise to begin from the beginning. Have also noticed that DM adds extra crap to the code when in design view, is that just me or is it always the case?

Member #
    Yellow is the code for PHP comments..
    It's also the color for HTML form objects.. Input, label etc.. Just expect colors to change in DW.. you can change the settings, if you want...Just browser through the menues etc..
    www.controlalternate.com - Web resources and free templates. www.chaosconcepts.net - Custom web and graphic design.
    www.blog.chaosconcepts.net - My Blog

Member #
    Be specific!

"My code is yellow" tells me nothing. It's like saying 'when I looked out the window today, i saw green. So what's happening to New York.'

Does your HTML work? Is it displaying as it should (when opening the result in a web browser)? Are you asking "why is all my code marked yellow when viewing it in DW?"

In short, what is your problem?
    ---------
    DW does NOT add unneccessary code with regard to HTML. It DOES add a lot of incomprehencible code when you use the auto JavaScript snippets or the built-in server laguage support.
    The JS extras are primarily to ensure cross-platform compliance (as JS is client-side based), the serverside though, is just clumsy tabloids of code that are building blocks for a more complex whole. I.e, they are trying to cover for all eventualities with regard to code composition, hence their 'blocks' contain a lot of unneccessary stuff!

However, if you're still purely HTML, then DW is not adding ANYTHING beyond what is required for the document to comply with certain web standards (such as document definitions etc). If your document contains styling of any sorts (fonts, colors), then DW2004 is set to default to CSS standards (you can alter this in preferences). This means DW will try to create stylesheets (a multitude of them unfortunately) for any styling you impose on the document you're working on.

If you're unfamiliar with style sheets, the code will seem surplus to you. If you ARE familiar with style sheets, you will find DW's attempts to cover your requests, overly verbose and unstructured.

Judging from your initial statement, I deem you as unqualified in CSS. Meaning you get an appearant overload of incomprehencible code.
    Alter that in preferances, and buy a book on HTML, followed by a starters guide to CSS.

You will then regard DW as an excellent tool to develop web projects.
    S. Rosland

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    oops ... I answered the wrong post, sorry.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by rosland
    Be specific!

"My code is yellow" tells me nothing. It's like saying 'when I looked out the window today, i saw green. So what's happening to New York.'

Does your HTML work? Is it displaying as it should (when opening the result in a web browser)? Are you asking "why is all my code marked yellow when viewing it in DW?"

In short, what is your problem?
    ---------
    DW does NOT add unneccessary code with regard to HTML. It DOES add a lot of incomprehencible code when you use the auto JavaScript snippets or the built-in server laguage support.
    The JS extras are primarily to ensure cross-platform compliance (as JS is client-side based), the serverside though, is just clumsy tabloids of code that are building blocks for a more complex whole. I.e, they are trying to cover for all eventualities with regard to code composition, hence their 'blocks' contain a lot of unneccessary stuff!

However, if you're still purely HTML, then DW is not adding ANYTHING beyond what is required for the document to comply with certain web standards (such as document definitions etc). If your document contains styling of any sorts (fonts, colors), then DW2004 is set to default to CSS standards (you can alter this in preferences). This means DW will try to create stylesheets (a multitude of them unfortunately) for any styling you impose on the document you're working on.

If you're unfamiliar with style sheets, the code will seem surplus to you. If you ARE familiar with style sheets, you will find DW's attempts to cover your requests, overly verbose and unstructured.

Judging from your initial statement, I deem you as unqualified in CSS. Meaning you get an appearant overload of incomprehencible code.
    Alter that in preferances, and buy a book on HTML, followed by a starters guide to CSS.

You will then regard DW as an excellent tool to develop web projects.
    Oops sorry about that..yeah my code does work and i was actually trying to say "why is all my code marked yellow when viewing it in DW?

The code seemed to work fine but for some reason (all of it) came up highlighted in yellow. The only other thing, but i actually think this is my computer, is that the design page appeared blank when it should have featured my code in design view.

Haha sorry if this is alittle hard to understand at times but i'm slowly (yeah very) picking it up..cheers for the second bit too, i am really beginning to see the potential DM has to offer :classic:

Thanks for the help guys

Member #
    Sorry to drag up an old thread for an FYI, but in DW when you forget to close a tag (hard to do as it automatically gives you a closing tag) or accidentally delete it and don't put it back, it will highlight the open tag in yellow.

[This is not difficult to miss as I believe most of us don't forget closing tags.]

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Bones
    Sorry to drag up an old thread
    No thats fine, your info is much appreciated

Remove Ads