Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello everyone,
    If time is an issue with web design, what’s the most effective way to start and complete a project once you have your resources and background information available to use. Should a solo designer start on the front end (creating the look of the website) or should that person first concentrate on making several layout templates that could work with any design that he or she dreams up?

Also, suppose that you do the front end first but you find it increasingly difficult to translate the “IT” design into a workable HTML format. What are some ways to work around that problem? Should you have a superb knowledge of table design? CSS?

Speaking from personal experience I once spent alot of time researching the "look" of a website without paying attention to how it would format on the web. And since you only have so much freedom with HTML, I was dissapointed that my vision didn't look the same once it was coded. In fact it looked uglier.

Member #
    OK, was my question complicated? Let me explain

Front end: Creating the graphic design and images that go on a website, by editing images in Photoshop, preparing them for the web in Imageready. Sometimes designing the front end of a website could be simple..it depends on the client. Lawyers, doctors, chiropractors are easy because they don't require alot of creative images and graphics to get their message across. But now.. I have stepped over into the creative side, and my client is a spoken word poetry group. Since their talents range in art and music I have to design a website that reflects their vision. This is where the front end gets complex and therefore there's a possibility that the coding might get complex as well.

Back end: HTML code. Tables with rowspan and colspan, nested tables, maybe some CSS script, Javascript for the menus. But primarily the problem is in re-arranging tables or adding or taking out tables in order to make a design seamless. I've been to so many non-Flash websites where the user might take a series of images and graphics and make it interactive because of the way they organized their code.

I hope this helps people out when they read my previous post.

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    HTML code. Tables with rowspan and colspan, nested tables, maybe some CSS script, Javascript for the menus. But primarily the problem is in re-arranging tables or adding or taking out tables in order to make a design seamless.
    If you design the backend using tables in this way then you are going to have problems. If you build the site with good use of CSS and eliminate the tables then there will be no problem in starting the design from the back-end. Personally this is what I do - create a plain site built around semantically correct XHTML and then style it using CSS.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Exactly, check out "Web Standards Solutions" by Dan Cederholm - it'll change your view of the internet.

In my job I code web sites from photoshop templates made by designers with little/no HTML experience, and it is expected that the templates look identical (with a few minor tolerances) when coded. So, it's very possible to make a site look identical to a photoshop template. It may take some time, but it's worth it.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Remove Ads