Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Display?

Member #
    Hi All.
    For the last 3 - 4 years I have been designing, expanding and maintaining a website for a London based record label.
    About a week ago I purchased a new Nvidia Geforce 5950 250mb video card for my system. I have always used ATI products and had no problems, however, the Geforce was a good deal.
    Now, since I have installed the card, the website in question has developed some strange characteristics;
    The page background color, which is a dotted dark blue. Seems to be displaying a problem associated with filming called vingetting.
    Most of you will recognize this effect when somebody being filmed for a T.V. interview has a stripy shirt on and the resulting image is distorted.
    After I found this problem, I spent the remainder of my day concerned that for the last couple of years. All Nvidia viewers of the site had viewed this unpleasantness to the extent that many may have turned away from the website altogether!
    So, I sat down to think of a way to resolve this issue. Planning on changing the problematic color in question to one that was not dotted and would be displayed correctly on the Nvidia card.
    However, when I started working on fixing this problem. I realized that I had checked the video card resolution & color depth, but not the refresh rate. So I changed the refresh rate from the default setting of 60 Hz, to 70 Hz.
    Instantly this resolved the problem.
    Why is this so?
    All of my ATI cards have been set to 60 Hz and worked fine. The P.C. that Iím on now is set to 60 Hz and works fine! I have never had anybody contact the webmaster of the site and mention that they canít view the homepage properly.
    What can I do to ensure that most (if not all) people can see the site correctly?
    This may be because the Geforce 5950 is much more powerful and uses 70 Hz as standard. Perhaps I had changed it to 60 Hz at an earlier date?
    If anyone has encountered this problem before, or can aid in anyway. Please give me your thoughts.

Thanks,

Alex T

Member #
    I have a Geforce 6800 GT 256 meg and have never had the same problems.

Can I see the website in question?

Member #
    Does the background look very unproffesional with the "distortion"? Is it very upsetting to the eye? The reason Im asking, It could just be a minor issue, and people didn't actually notice it, and therefore didnt leave your site because of it.

On the issue of resolving it, I have actually never heard of different video cards displaying websites differently! Only playing games, does it sometimes change the way they look.

Remove Ads