Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    J__
    Member #
    Hi,
    I'm new to the forums. I'm a bit 'code heavy' and tend to write a lot of code. However, I have always been a visual type of guy and now i have been given an opportunity to do more work with design tools.

I'd like to hear what the recommended tools are. For example, is Dreamweaver the defacto standard? should I buy Studio or just Dreamweaver? Is Photoshop a must or are there other imaging tools? Illustrator should that be part of the toolset?

I look forward to your opinions and recommendations.

Oh and no, I'm not trying to start a war on which tool is best, just trying to get some insight.
    And My apologies if this is a FAQ - if this is the case, please point me to the FAQ.

thanks,
    Sincererly,
    J__

Member #
    In an ideal world my web tool-set would be.

Photoshop
    This is my first weapon of choice for 2D digital imaging/graphics. However,It entirely depends on what your needs are. If all you want to do is make interfaces then something like dare I say Fireworks may do or even Flash used stand alone.

Flash
    Multimedia content.

Freehand
    A nice vector drawing package, I found it much easier to pick up than using Illustrator.

Dreamweaver
    I doubt I even use 2/3 of this, but it fits along nicely with the Macromedia interface and has some useful features you'll probably hear time and again such as syntax highlighting, code formatting and site management options.

Cinema 4D
    The only 3D app I've really had all that much experience with, unless you want to get into serious animation (Pixar etc) it will do extremely well.

I've picked out a few other threads that you might find useful:
    http://www.webdesignforums.net/showthread.php?t=17365
    http://www.webdesignforums.net/showthread.php?t=17902

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    Welcome to the site J! While a FAQ isn't a bad idea, it may start up some more arguments. However, if anyone would like to compile some of the threads that cover this topic and parse them into one main thread, please go ahead

BTW, thanks for the links and suggestions Trico!
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

J__
    Member #
    Hello Trico and Wired,
    thanks for the responses. Trico I appreciate the information.
    I had hoped to hear more opinions. Hopefully contrasts between Adobe Go-Live and Dreamweaver, but from what I am gathering it's Dreamweaver.

Do either of you know if Dreamweaver's license allows a copy to exist on Mac and Windows?
    I know their license says you can install on 2 windows machines (one for work and one for home) and you can do this for Mac too. But I happen to be one those people who is a "Cross-platformer" and I use BOTH. so, i want to have one copy on Mac and one on Windows. Know anything about this?

thanks for the help,
    Sincerely,
    J__

Member #
    I thought you could have it on as many machines as you wanted as long as it was in your own private setting for personal use. ??

J__
    Member #
    Have you used it this way?
    I haven't purchased the license yet and I may be going for the "flash option" too ; so i don't want to drop all this money 2X - one for each platform. I do like having the option to work on both platforms and since it would only be me ever using that one license at a specific time, I don't see why it is a problem... but I just hoped someone could verify this.

thanks for the response.
    Sincererly,
    J__

Member #
    I'm with Trico's toolset. Add 3D Studio Max, Macromedia Fireworks (just for small purposes, we all know how much you love it Trico ) and Adobe Illustrator and you'd have a majorly sweet toolset.

Of course, you'd need a large budget to get all these programs!
    Rednerve
    Creative Freelance Design

Member #
    TBH I don't know if it'll make a difference if you can use it on a mac and PC with the licensing. If not I think you'll be perfectly justified in finding a key by accident on the internet, for your other PC if you've bought a license already.

J__
    Member #
    Thanks for the Responses.
    - Yes, it's an expensive toolset. But alas my discount for Photoshop came in the mail 50% off - yes!
    - Dreamweaver i will get, but I don't see why they don't let me use it on both platforms. I mean I only have 2 hands.
    - I have seen some ads on the web, which i am just a little suspicious of. It says for $39.00 I can get Adobe CS - but it doesn't provide any support. Does that sound right? dunno.

thanks for the replies.
    sincerely,
    J__

Member #
    At that price you can be almost certain it's some form of scam or illegal copy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads