Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    i'm just starting out with site design, and would like to know how to make my images scale up or down automatically with different screen sizes.

i have designed the site with frames at first because i have to have an area centered on the page that can scroll several pages of info.....but i am learning how this is possible using tables and divs.

problem is, i created an 800x600 graphic that i sliced up in fireworks to create the page. i want everything to appear within that page, without scrolling down forever---and to keep the navbar always accessible. when i check out my site using any other screen size, i either get partial images, or ugly gaps between them.

i am using dreamweaver to build the site. and am trying to test it on angelfire (but it doesn't load right!?) please check it out if that helps to answer my question.

www.angelfire.com/az3/solverstechline

thank you in advance!!

Member #
    Welcome.

One of the first things I learned with using a graphics program's html generator, is that it generally doesn't work well. In other words, there are always weird rendering issues when I add content, like spaces and general disorientation. I make my slices and then rebuild the layout in dreamweaver.

Frames=bad.

It sounds like you want an area in the middle of your layout with scrolling capabilities. You can do this with divs. It looks like you'll want a repeating background until you get to the bottom, and then another box with that information.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by DCScene
    One of the first things I learned with using a graphics program's html generator, is that it generally doesn't work well. In other words, there are always weird rendering issues when I add content, like spaces and general disorientation. I make my slices and then rebuild the layout in dreamweaver.
    Yeah - the output from ImageReady isn't so bad sometimes, but if you are going to use it you will need to do a ton of recoding and tweaking.

Easier to just do it by hand.

Member #
    thanks for the input

i tried letting fireworks code it for me at first, but immediately realized that doesn't work.

as you suggested, i used my slices to design the site from dreamweaver.

shortly after posting this message, i found a similiar question posted in this section....about "stretchy" websites......in conclusion, using slices of images, you're pretty much stuck designing for a specific screen size??

would everyone agree that 800x600 is the most common/average resolution? are SVGs the only solution to this problem?

Member #
    SVG? is that a standard abbreviation for something, I think I missed that day.

The most common screen resolution right now is 1024x768, which means we as designers can have free reign in the 800x600 realm. However, it's a good practice to assume at least a little bit of room for the browser itself. I generally design 770x500. The vertical space is not as important, since it's dynamic any ways, but you do want the bulk of your content and navigation to show up without a scroll.

Also, some elements can stretch, like WDF here.

I hope I answered your question.
    Shani

Member #
    thanks dcscene......actually, SVG= scalable vector graphics

new question....how can i set my 800x600 (or 770x500) designed page to stay to the left when opened in a 1024x768 screen? i've messed around with the alignment and all, but my page keeps getting all stretched apart into unconnected pieces!

Member #
    Are you using tables or divs?
    Shani

Member #
    welllllll....i was using frames, i'd like to have a scrollable section in the middle of the screen---which would you recommend, tables or divs? i'm also using sliced images for the background.

Member #
    I would recommend divs. It's a lot more work to get it right, but in the end, the results are better. I must admit that I myself am just a beginner with CSS, so I may not be too much help. But, one reason I want to learn it is to solve problems like the one you're having.
    Shani

Member #
    ok, thanks, then i too will learn how to use divs!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads