Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

View Poll Results: Which is the best programme for designing and maintaining websites?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Adobe GoLive

0 0%
  • Dreamweaver

17 94.44%
  • Microsoft Frontpage

1 5.56%
  • Other (please specify)

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hey! I'm totally new to web design and I'm looking to buy a programme. I have windows ME and a Pentium 3 but am looking to upgrade soon because ME can't support a lot of the better programmes... I'm just wondering, as a matter of opinion, what is the best web design programme?

Member #
    Dreamweaver without question for me. Frontpage chucks out a load of jibberish. GoLive I only tried a trial but didnt get on with it much.

Dreamweaver is very powerfull and it's tool tips in MX 2004 are priceless for me! Especially when it comes to the CSS.

I haven't really pushed Dreamweaver a great deal, but there are some good tools in it and good extentions available. It makes life, working with flash and fireworks better as well.

Member #
    If you are new to web design, and are a hobbyist (ie not making a career out of this, well not yet) maybe you should learn HTML beforehand to see if it intrigues you, and just use a text editor while you do so.

Saying that, theres free trials.
    I dont really use IDE'S, I only use them for applications, so I am unsure.

However, Dreamweaver is the top dog.
    Stay away from frontpage

Member #
    Since I'm a beginner beginner (!) and I learned on Frontpage will I need to learn HTML to be able to use Dreamweaver? Can windows ME support Dreamweaver? Is Windows XP a good idea to upgrade to or should I choose a Mac instead?

Member #
    You don't need any software to learn or use html. All you need is notepad and a browser. Editors like Dreamweaver, GoLive, etc. help generate the code for you. They are phenomenal tools, but they are pricey! So, bfsog is just suggesting you make sure it's an investment you want to make.

Regarding systems specs, I am sure the box and whatever-software-you-decide-upon's website, will tell you everything you need to know.

My opinion: I like Dreamweaver, and I prefer mac.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    In my opinion Dreamweaver is the best but Ive also never used Adobe GoLive. I used to hate Dreamweaver because I did all my coding by hand which is great but very time consuming. Then when I played with Dreamweaver for a bit I really liked it

Member #
    Use whatever you want just so long as you learn the actual code. No doubt once you get into it your preferences for editing software will change.

When I firdt got into design I noticed you could use MS Word (not a good idea, believe me). So once that crapped out on me I used Notepad for 2 years and I really got into the code. Then it just so happened that I acquired Dreamweaver and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

When it comes down to it, it's the product that counts. It's how the site looks and feels, but shoddy coding will also show. So if you can make nice code with Notepad and you have no problem with the cryptic style of it, go ahead and use it. If you want to mess with Frontpage and deal with sorting out crap code, and you have no issues with doing so, go for it. If you want something top of the line like DW, go for it.

Member #
    I agree with Eddy. You do need to have some sort of knowledge of HTML and any other language you may be dipping into.

I started off with Frontpage and knew jack about HTML. Which wasn't wise. The stuff I was producing what just total rubbish and so was the code Frontpage chucked out. After looking on the web and reading what people on forums had to say I gradually started to learn HTML. Then I stumbled across CSS.
    Dreamweaver is what I would consider to be the industry standard. I expect every top designer has it on their computer. It also chucks out nicer code then FP, but once again I would rather do the coding side of it myself. Dreamweaver doesnt have to be used just for the coding. Features suck as FTP, checking work in and out, compatibility checking, SPELL CHECK , and so much more. When you really look at it, there isn't much it can't do in terms of websites. It's the daddy. :-)

Member #
    Whoa, whoa... You can spell check in DW? Gees, goes to show you learn something new every day!

Member #
    Can windows ME support Dreamweaver? Is Windows XP a good idea to upgrade to or should I choose a Mac instead?
    As far as I know it can, (I don't know if the new version conflicts though); it's been a long time since I've used it. In any case I would diffidently upgrade to XP, ME is the operating system of the devil, and that's no overstatement.

I find Macs limiting, frustrating to use and extremely expensive; but that's just my opinion.

My preference is also Dreamweaver but I would never buy it stand alone, would you ever think about buying the Studio MX suite? If not you might want to research into one of many nifty text editors geared towards coding for the web.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads