Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hi,

I've received some advice about my site over in the "How's my site" forum, and I've decided that now I am going to totally start again with my design. As well as a new design, I'm also hoping to change the technical backend of my site and write a kind of CMS.

Anyway, I have created a new navbar (see link in sig) and a new logo (attached). Any comments on these and suggestions on a design would be welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    man oh man. here we go again! That other thread of yours was pretty big! :classic: Good luck with the rewrite! Ill post my useful comments sooner or later....

Member #
    hmm the logo is pretty decent; theres nothing really wrong with it. As for the nav.. it needs some work. It looks like you used Xara or some other program to generate it (no offense). Another thing is that bevels are one of the most abbused affects people use in webdesign (along side gradients). Bevels in proportion(sp?) looks ok but too much can completly ruin a website design or in this case its navigation. I recomend you design the navigation into the website itself rather than simply making them seperate and hoping that they will go good together. Hope some of that helps!

Member #
    Yes, I used Xara Webstyle to create the nav. What's wrong with bevels? And have you got any other ideas? Bear in mind that I can't draw!

Member #
    I think before you start designing the website you need to identify what kind of layout you're looking for. By the looks of your current one Its all very content to the right, navigation to the left, so Perhaps its time to Mix it up a little.

Im thinking title across the top, perhaps links under it in a line over the top. Then content underneath this. Giving an overall simplistic, but easy to use design. Dunno what you think about that but then again, the user may have to scroll all the way to the top to see links if you have large amounts of text on the page. Although there dosn't seem to be much content now, its best to think of the future.

Member #
    Personally I rather like the links on the left, like I've got it now. Although links across the top could work as well.

Member #
    Hehe, well, let's hope this thread turns out more productive than the last one. I'd tell you to learn it from the basics and up, and forget about CMS just yet (I would) - if you can't do a decent layout, then a CMS is a bit overkill . Honestly, it is... Even I can't do a proper CMS yet (going there though)!
    So... Let's forget about the navigation just now... Just create a design draft in your graphics program of choice. Read about HTML, XHTML, and CSS and do many many exercises with it. Then export your layout (if you still want it) to HTML and start doing it.

Member #
    Perhaps jumping ahead a little here, but is it better to write all new code in XHTML?

Member #
    I'd say so... More compatible with screen readers, self-phones and other portable media!
    There is only a small difference. No more fonts or framesets, and no tables for layout. Then always end your tags with /> or </br> (this one is not common). Insert a doctype, add an attribute to the html tag and validate your html with a validator, then validate the css...
    Got more about what the difference is on my site under "start web design", where I also got links.

Doesn't sound too hard does it?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by echoSwe
    Doesn't sound too hard does it?
    It seems that my coding style is fairly close to XHTML already - should make the transition easier.

Just a couple of questions - if there are no tables for layout, then how do I do the layout? And how are frames created? (just out of curiosity - I wouldn't dream of using them!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads