Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    i'm getting really frustrated with IE.....i can't seem to get rid of the stupid vertical scrollbar, even when the image width is less than 780!!

any tips or trick codes or java that i can plug in to eliminate that scrollbar???

-averan

Member #
    The scrollbar is part of the browser; you can't get rid of it. Some of the other browsers work differently by not displaying a scrollbar until the content overflows the visible area.

Are you sure you meant to write 'VERTICAL' and not 'HORIZONTAL'? ...as I don't understand the situation from how you've explained things.

If this might be the case...
    Seven Hundred and Fifty [750] Pixels in width is the only sure safe value that I've come across that doesn't allow horizontal scrollbars to appear when viewed in multiple browsers using 8*6 resolution.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by averan
    i'm getting really frustrated with IE.....i can't seem to get rid of the stupid vertical scrollbar, even when the image width is less than 780!!

any tips or trick codes or java that i can plug in to eliminate that scrollbar???

-averan
    oh when i figure out how to get rid of that scollbar i was craking up, it's pretty easy:
    In the <body> tag
    put "scroll=no"
    so it looks like this: <body scroll=no>

Now my problem is figuring out how to do it with CSS

Member #
    really?

i'll try that, but i heard that you can never totally eliminate the vertical scrollbar, that it is the browser that automatically shows it, even if all your content fits within the window, its still there, just without a scrollable bar.

as for CSS....its easy to set your scrollbar options for divs.....just use the "overflow:" attribute, with values of "scroll", "auto", and "none".....for IE only, you can use "overflow-y: scroll" to eliminate the horizontal scrollbar.

Member #
    scroll=no doesnt do much for firefox... and as for IE, sure it removes the scroll bar, but if your page is longer than the screen size, (which may be 1280x960 or 800x600 or even a PDA) then the only way to see the page "below" the bottom of the screen is to highlight the text and drag down... and that isnt too user friendly

Member #
    That's a real nightmare

yes - I've just finished one website and this bloody Internet Explorer and its horizontal scrollbar drives me crazy - I've checked all div tags for any padding on the left and right side to make sure that they don't exceed the amount of space defined by the external div (wrapped all around the content) but it's padding free. this is happening when the vertical scrollbar is in use - automaticaly horizontal one is appearing - because of the space which is taken by the vertical one.
    That thing with the overflow - doesn't seem to work - I've just tried this but nothing has changed. Which tag did you add it to?

I've put this into the body tag.

Thanks,

Member #
    It's always good to ensure both margins/padding is cancelled out.

Code:
    html, body {

margin: 0;
       padding: 0;

width: 750px;
       height: auto;
       overflow: hidden;

}
    I don't know if Averan found a solution or plans on following this thread up, but it wouldn't hurt to post a url as long as the course of the topic wasn't drastically changed.

Member #
    hi scabro,
    for IE the "overflow-y: scroll" certainly does work. it would help to have a link to the page you are attempting to use this on....

define "overflow-y: scroll" for the div that your text is actually contained in. this might not be the body, depending on your layout.

netscape and firefox will always have a horizontal scrollbar whenever there is a vertical.

as trico mentioned, be sure to specify "margin: 0 padding: 0" or to whatever values necessary to make the combined width of the content within the div shorter than the actual div width minus the vertical scrollbar width (about 15-20px).

Member #
    Thanks Averan,

If you go to the website I'm currently working on at: http://www.proxycon.co.uk you can using Firefox and developer toolbar view the external stylesheet and have a look at what I've done.
    I've tried to add overflow-y: scroll to body tag and then to the #divOuter but it still doesn't give the expected result - the scrollbar at the bottom doesn't dissapear.

Please let me know if you've got anything for this.

Thanks,

Scabro

Member #
    It's me again,

I think I've found the solution to sort out the bottom scrollbar.
    That's what I've done for body tag in CSS:

body {
    width: 98%;
    margin: 0px;
    height: auto;
    padding-top: 20px;
    padding-right: 0px;
    padding-bottom: 20px;
    padding-left: 0px;
    }

I've used padding for the top and bottom simply because the website which I've been working with didn't look good with 0px padding at both ends. The key to this is the width: 98% - this however moves whole content slightly to the left - it's really nearly invisible - it doesn't affect the background pattern - what is obviously good.
    I think this will sort my problem but if you know any better methods I'm happy to lern something new.

Thanks guys,
    Scabro

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads