Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    i'm having problems with my css pages....

my html pages show up fine in IE, but they don't seem to reference/link to the stylesheet when opened in Netscape or Firefox.

any obvious tips i might be missing?----differences between IE and Netscape and Firefox that i need to code my css or html differently to get my pages to use the styles??

thank you!
    -averan

Member #
    It would help if you could provide a reference to the page(s) you're talking about.

Member #
    i could paste the entire page of code for the css and html pages, other than that, i don't have any site or pages online....its all on my computer.

Member #
    Upload the seperate files as an attachment on a post here, it's going to be extremely difficult to help you with your problem otherwise.

Member #
    ah-ha! finally found an "attach" button!

please take a look at this sample html page with my css page. i haven't written in the navigation yet, and have been toying with javascript to get both the text and images to resize according to browser size....

thanks for your comments in advance,
    -averan

ps: the stylesheet i had to save as txt

Member #
    Sorry, I should have probably explained attaching files in a little more detail, didn't think; as for your CSS problem it's pretty obvious having looked at your two files.

When using external style sheets, you cannot use any html within it period. This means not encasing your CSS in <style></style> tags, having a doctype doesn't exactly help either.

(I've attached the corrected versions; you can compare it to your original to see where you went wrong.)

Code:
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
    href="C:/Documents and Settings/Owner/My Documents/My Webs/solversfinal8/solvers2.css" />
    From within your html file you're currently using an absolute path to your external style sheet; this isn't necessarily a bad thing when you’re building a site off-line. However it would be better to use a relative path as this will be better for when you plan to upload them to a server.

Code:
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
    href="solvers2.css" media="screen" />
    This will work fine as long as your CSS file is kept in the same folder as all of your other html files. Hope this has solved your problems.

Remove Ads