Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I have gotten to be pretty good with photoshop and want to move onto bigger and better things like building dynamic websites and stuff... but i have absolutley no idea where to start... so i was just wondering if some you could point me in the right direction, i can get ahold of any program... i just need to know what im going to need. Just so I dont sound to vague I heard of CSS, Java, Flash, PHP, XML and all that stuff but i just dont understand where it all comes into play within the web design... im not really sure of what each of those things do or are used for. So far i have built a site for myself but it is very basic and is made with only photoshop you can check it out at www.defcon-designs.com . thanx ahead of time for the help!

Member #
    CSS is for page layout and styling. You've used some CSS in that site of yours when you declare a style within HTML tags. Flash is for animations and nice interactivity. It can be used for web sites, games, or presentations of any kind. PHP is a server side language that works along with MySQL, which is a database system. PHP is usually used for online stores, forums, and other content managed sites. It also provides nice security functions. I don't know much about XML, so I'll leave that for someone else to explain. It has to do with how a site will display on other devices such as phones or handhelds, I believe, but I may be way off the mark. Java is for web applications, but don't confuse it with JavaScript. JS is for mild interactivity on sites.

I would suggest looking into CSS first as it will be the most helpful to you at the moment. If you are interested in databases and all that fun stuff (also other usefull things for everyday websites), check out PHP. Just don't overwhelm yourself with everything at once...

Member #
    I agree with Eddy. Start with learning the fundamentals of CSS before you try getting into too much else.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Bones
    I would suggest looking into CSS first as it will be the most helpful to you at the moment.
    I would first suggest HTML, and CSS as the very next thing. Once you understand how an actual webpage is made up, then you can go into the nitty gritty with CSS.

Member #
    My bad, I was assuming he knew HTML. I misread his post..

Member #
    No probs. CSS and HTML go hand in hand, but you gona need a basic HTML understanding anyway. :classic:

Member #
    Yeah. Without understanding HTML, your CSS knowledge would be practically useless huh? :P

Member #
    Yip. that true. :classic:

Member #
    html is your best to learn first with out a strong understanding you will not go far xml is different from html it is a language used for organizational purposes i have found this site very helpful to starting out with web design you may want to start here http://www.htmltutorials.ca/
    i myself used this site and alot of other ones for starting out try going to pages you like and veiwing the source this is a great way to learn
    Thee Pyro Wolf

Remove Ads