Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello,

I am having a hard time making a layout for my personal website where I put my best work samples, stuff about me and so on. This is for my high school web design class. I want it to look dynamic, something that is unique.

This is my website that I have right now but I don't like the layout and the colors of it now. http://eportal.guhsd.net/kk126992/eport/index.html

The theme that I would like to go with is "technology"

Question in my mind-

What should I put on my banner?
    What color theme would be the best fit for a personal website? (I like navy blue but I don't know if that would work)
    Stuff like those questions.

Please give me some suggestions or website that you made that looks cool.

I would like to use flash but not to much. Mostly for the navigation.

I already looked at other websites and web templates but there is not anything that I like or that catches my eyes.

Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    726 times
    Wow ...

Everyone who visits this forum has a different opinion on
    what is "cool". This is something you're going to have to
    decide on your own.

There has been previous discussions about the strange phenomena
    where a web author never likes his/her own work. Always trying
    to re-write and re-design, never satisfied. I, along with many
    others, suffer from this same thing.

Make your site easy to navigate, have good content, and try it
    out on other people. If they don't like it, they won't visit.
    Your site now isn't so bad (as far as layout). But, is the purpose
    of your site all about YOU? No offense, but other than your family,
    who cares? You'd be much better off making a website about something
    you are interested in, and something you have a passion for, like a
    hobby, sport, etc.

Member #
    You're site reminds me alot of StopDesign.

You could probably pick apart his site and evaluate what makes it work. You're not going to make anything mind blowingly unique just yet, so don't set your standards too high at such an early level. In either case the follwing helped me in the sense of getting over the whole "my work sucks, it's not original enough." This was taken from some notes one of my design lectueres once gave me. "...there is nothing new, almost everything we create has been done before only in a different way." Once you get past how vague it seems it'll eventually mean something to you.

As for getting something that feels dynamic take for example the way he uses multiple columns and spanning content boxes; it's just basic grids! (like I needed to point that out) ...At the moment you currently use a layout based on one single montonous cumbersome boring column (and yes that was a mouth full to read.) ...break it apart and you will succeed in making the layout more interesting to the eye.

If you want some easy tips on improving your current design then you can work on some of the things in the following list.

• Don't centre align your sub-headings and content paragraphs. (Centring everything just looks plain dull.) Left algined content is much easier to read too.
    • Scan-lines are one of the most un-unique web trends around, it's been done over and over again an' aga'... etc etc. Hang around for a few years and it will probably be back as the in-thing.

Being as it's a personal site I don't see why you shouldn't reflect your own personality in the design; styles. colours etc...

[edit]I'll finish this tomorrow, need sleep.[/edit]

• Think about working in a different sort of background texture ...take a picture of some pine wood and create a seamless texture out of it, photograph your carpet, scan a pair of jeans.
    • 'Work Samples' are professionaly refered to as a 'Portfolio' of work.
    • Don't use Flash for the sake of using Flash.

Remove Ads