Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    I've just started to learn HTML and I've been using Microsoft Wordon my Mac. The problem that I'm having is that everytime I save it as a plain text document (.txt), and close the document down, when I reopen the file Word doesn't show me my HTML, it shows me my website!!! What's up with that? It's supposed to be a plain text document??? (Oh, and when I go to view the script it appears that Word has added all his junk!)

Should I be using a different program? What does everyone else use? (Keeping in mind that I'm a Mac guy)

Thanks so much!!

Member #
    Use notepad or some other text editor to open the document. Microsoft words has a build in html convertor so that when a user tries to open a html file it will convert the layout to remove the html tags and leave the user with a pretty page with no code.

In other words dont use microsof word to do code...

Member #
    check out nvu, it's a free open-source web authoring program. It works great.

http://www.nvu.com

Member #
    Ok

#1, don't use MS Word for web design.
    #2, on a Mac, you can use TextEdit (in lieu of NotePad) as a plain text editor (cool huh?). But be warned that TextEdit is smarter than most people suppose which means you have to do two things... First of all, Format>Make Plain Text (or shift-apple-T), and secondly when you save, it will automatically want to append your document with a .txt so when you save your .html, it will make your file index.html.txt UNLESS you tell it not to when the thing pops up.

Now, that should make your life a whole lot easier
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    I reccomend Editpad, which is the same as notepad, but you can have multiple files opeb in tabs,so you don't crowd you taskbar. Ever sinc i've been using mozilla, tabs have been my obsession, and Editpad helps me gulgull it, XP

Member #
    Not sure how to do with Mac, but in windows you do a "open with". Its opening it because of what you saved it as, a web page. I've used word before, no other choice. Easier than pad way more difficult and unfriendly than frontpage.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Word on any platform, any version, is a complete piece of crap for editing HTML, period.

On the Mac, I suggest either Dreamweaver MX 2004 or BBEdit. Neither is free, but you usually get what you pay for. However, Arachnophilia (http://www.arachnoid.com/arachnophilia/) is free and written in Java, so it should work under OS X.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

SoD
    Member #
    i think macromedia is an expencive program to start off with. for a starter webdesigner i alwals sugest front page to start because you can edit code, drag drop when having problems then see code how its done, ect. ect. ect. and cost next to nothing. or if your in to it try to find macromedia for free (you didnt hear taht from me)
    [`'*^~-.,Eddy,.-~^*']
    I hover not above nor below but between the two realms of life and death.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SoD
    (you didnt hear taht from me)
    I also didn't read that just now. Don't ever consider posting something like that again.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Frontpage builds extremely bad habits for web designing. Stray from it as far as you can. I use CuteHTML, since I got it for free on my ISP install disk.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads